Becoming a Senator Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Re: Becoming a Senator

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:48 pm

I personally think it is pretty honorable to want to hold elected office. Don't listen to these trolls. I think writing about your desire to one day be a senator is a good topic for a PS. My recommendation would be to follow something like this: Why and how you became interested in becoming a senator --> how a law degree will help you achieve this dream --> (if you personalize it to each university) say how going to the particular law school will help you achieve this dream.

As for career advice, you definitely need to try and snag a legislative internship while you are in law school (ideally with senator's office, duh). Don't be afraid to take state legislative internships, because a lot of state reps and senators know their U.S. Congressional counterparts, which could help you network your way into a senator's office. Also, be prepared to volunteer for political campaigns.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:09 pm

this PS would be very strong if you wanted to be in the house of representatives bc more seats. Focus on that and you're in

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:I personally think it is pretty honorable to want to hold elected office. Don't listen to these trolls. I think writing about your desire to one day be a senator is a good topic for a PS. My recommendation would be to follow something like this: Why and how you became interested in becoming a senator --> how a law degree will help you achieve this dream --> (if you personalize it to each university) say how going to the particular law school will help you achieve this dream.

As for career advice, you definitely need to try and snag a legislative internship while you are in law school (ideally with senator's office, duh). Don't be afraid to take state legislative internships, because a lot of state reps and senators know their U.S. Congressional counterparts, which could help you network your way into a senator's office. Also, be prepared to volunteer for political campaigns.
No, ths is awful advice for a personal statement. There have been 1,950 US Senators in the history of our nation. It's admirable to aspire to be one, but irrational to make life-changing actions based on that. Writing that you want to go to law school because it equips you to be a Senator implies that you'll have wasted the degree (and be unhappy) if you don't become a US Senator. In addition, you have to have a successful career before becoming a Senator - if only because you have X years before you're old enough. Do you really want to be a practicing attorney?

But yes, the career advice is good. You should gun for legislative positions during law school (but know you'll never be a Senator).

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:I personally think it is pretty honorable to want to hold elected office. Don't listen to these trolls. I think writing about your desire to one day be a senator is a good topic for a PS. My recommendation would be to follow something like this: Why and how you became interested in becoming a senator --> how a law degree will help you achieve this dream --> (if you personalize it to each university) say how going to the particular law school will help you achieve this dream.
yea this is just terrible

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:53 pm

The stuff you said about the PS might actually be mistaken for serious advice (especially because your career advice might be sound). If you're going to troll OP then at least include a giveaway that he can pick up on because we don't want to inadvertently (or deliberately - cuz that would be mean) convince this guy that writing a PS about going to law school to become a Sentor is actually a good idea.
Last edited by R. Jeeves on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:13 pm

pulstar1 wrote:

The stuff you said about the PS might actually be confused for serious advice (especially because your career advice might be sound). If you're going to troll OP then at least include a giveaway that he can pick up on because we don't want to inadvertently (or deliberately - cuz that would be mean) convince this guy that writing a PS about going to law school to become a Sentor is actually a good idea.

OP here, going to go a different route with the PS so I just haven't been paying much attention to the advice.. Obviously it's a bad topic so whether people are trolling and saying it's great just to be cruel is of zero importance anymore! Thank you though :)

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:15 pm

Want to be a senator morphs into etymological discussion re: spooks. <3 you, TLS.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:10 pm

bjsesq wrote:Want to be a senator morphs into etymological discussion re: spooks. <3 you, TLS.
sup bjjjjjj

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”