topic for a Non Trad applicant? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

topic for a Non Trad applicant?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:13 pm

I have decided upon talking about my time after undergrad and where I have worked, including a law firm and the government which led me to deciding upon law.

I did this because it's unique and there some projects/traits that I can highlight that differentiate me from other people.

However, I have written a draft, submitted it to fellow users here and they want me to "show" rather than tell. I am now using specific examples from my past jobs to show how it led me to law and the passion I developed for it. Now that I have done this, my personal statement is pretty long. Before it was just 2 and half pages. Now its close to 4.

What should I do? should I disregard their advice and just go with the old copy? or what. I'm lost.

patogordo

Gold

Re: topic for a Non Trad applicant?

Post by patogordo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:14 pm

cut it down to 2 pages?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:18 pm

patogordo wrote:cut it down to 2 pages?
it runs counter to their advice about showing rather than telling. thats the problem. Plus I dunno how much I should trust them. They could be just as clueless as I am. who knows.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:21 pm

Showing rather than telling is right, but tou probably added the showing to the telling, rather than substituting showing for telling. You can probably cut a lot of the telling you started with.

Or, you're trying to talk about too many things. Pick one thing and focus. The PS isn't supposed to be comprehensive.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:23 pm

yea when people say show don't tell they don't mean run through your entire resume but instead of using brief descriptions tell long detailed stories.

pick something interesting and talk about it for 2 pages

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:24 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Showing rather than telling is right, but tou probably added the showing to the telling, rather than substituting showing for telling. You can probably cut a lot of the telling you started with.

Or, you're trying to talk about too many things. Pick one thing and focus. The PS isn't supposed to be comprehensive.
I surmise I can shorten the background and just get straight to the projects from work. I'll make sure to sub the showing rather than telling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”