What to write about? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
agalfano

New

What to write about?

Post by agalfano » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:39 pm

I have been searching through these forums for quite some time to get a feel for some of the subject matter and some of the topics. A common theme I have come across is "struggle and obstacles having to be overcome and I'm a better person because of it and this is how I'm going to apply it to the legal profession." Which I think are great stories that show your perseverance and your ability to overcome challenges. I've read everything from divorce, illness, sexual assault, poverty, etc. I'm am not bragging or anything, but I just haven't come across any of these problems, I have been very fortunate in my life. So I am just wondering if someone can comment on something they wrote about that wasn't related to one of these topics. I am sure there are a lot out there that I can write about but I am blanking right now. Any suggestions/comments would be helpful!

McAvoy

Gold

Re: What to write about?

Post by McAvoy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:57 pm

It really doesn't matter. Just don't come across as entitled, stupid, or careless, and you'll be fine.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 am

Agalfano - The other topic you can discuss is "Why Law". Assuming you are going to law school for some other reason than "I didn't know what else to do with my life", this will also make for an adequate essay. Be careful not to come off too preachy or high and mighty though.
Last edited by ChemEng1642 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:13 pm

I'm struggling with this too. Although I could cover some of the more common "obstacles" topics, I think that TLS also shows how overdone those are. I don't think you're really in that much worse of a position than someone that has had bad things happen to them. You might even be better off, because you're not constricted by feeling you have to write about whatever obstacle it is.

The way I'm trying to think about it is: how do I succinctly and creatively give the ad comms as insightful a picture of who I am as possible. So you could focus on an interest that drives your thinking, or even an issue (current affairs or whatever) and how it's affected you or how you've thought about or acted because of it. I think as long as you direct the majority of the statement towards you and the way you think, you should be able to write something interesting.

I would welcome comments on this, I've been staring at a black page for a while now so this is how I'm trying to move forward atm. I'm having similar issues with the DS because I'm sure all the addcomms are SO sick of the whole mixed race, third-culture kid, non-story.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”