Personal Statement and family Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Rebec90

New

Personal Statement and family

Post by Rebec90 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi there,

I will be applying to strictly Canadian schools this upcoming month and I am trying to write my personal statement.

During my first 2 years of undergrad, I definitely under performed (below 3.3 GPA) because I was going through some family problems.

I am having some trouble explaining this in my personal statement as a reason to why I did so horrible in my first and second year.

I don't have any documentation to prove anything but it was mostly my parents fighting and I was in the middle of it all so things were very rocky and stressful. I was constantly stressed and worried.

But after my second year I just started working a lot and volunteering so I was barely at home to deal with anything and that really helped me bring up my marks to a 3.9 GPA (out of 4.00) in each of my third, fourth, and fifth year.

Can anyone give me some advice to how I should discuss this? Again I don't have any documentation to provide the law schools of "proof" that this was happening (i didn't see a counsellor or , it's not something we really do in our culture). But I do feel that it had a huge impact on my grades especially because I was able to increase my average over 20% the year after.

Any help would be appreciate it! Thanks guys

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”