Plumbing: An Unexpected Means of Growth (LS - PS) Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Penguin515

New

Plumbing: An Unexpected Means of Growth (LS - PS)

Post by Penguin515 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Plumbing: An Unexpected Means of Personal and Intellectual Growth

As a child I maintained only a vague understanding of what my Father’s work entailed. I did know, however, that his line of work was incredibly strenuous. This was evidenced by his physical condition when he would return home in his old Chevy Suburban packed with nearly every tool and gadget one would find at The Home Depot. The veil would be lifted and my understanding would change, however, in the wake of the death of my Mother in 2007. This untimely occurrence forced my Father to take a hiatus from work, but with a newfound sense of responsibility, I offered to assist my Father with his work. Unbeknownst to me, however, this initial course of action would be the first step in the cultivation of a skill-set that would prove have a profound impact on my personal and intellectual development and subsequent success.

At the age of sixteen I was charged with menial tasks such as handing tools to my father and transporting debris to the dumpster. My perpetual curiosity, however, would not allow me to be fully content with the completion of such tasks. As time progressed, I found myself inquiring about the regulations that governed operations, hydromechanics, and the manner in which designs and materials have evolved over time. The latter would typically lead to a humorous recounting of how difficult it was to work with cast iron as opposed to copper. The rich information I obtained via the act of inquiry taught me that questions often produced answers. I have employed this philosophy to my academic work and can confidently state that my intellectual curiosity has made my undergraduate experience far more fruitful.

As I grew older my Father became increasingly reliant upon my contributions. I knew that I had an obligation to my family, but if I continued to work I would be forced to forgo other internships and employment opportunities during the summer. My commitment may have precluded me from engaging in these other pursuits, but it did not hinder me from developing skills that would play an integral role in my development.

It did not take long for me to realize that success in the field of plumbing hinges upon commitment and hard work. A diligent work ethic in this field typically results in a finished product that the client is satisfied with. My work ethic is certainly one of my strongest attributes, but it has it origins from the time I have spent in this demanding field. When I applied my work ethic to my academic endeavors I was fortunate enough to be awarded with the X prize in Philosophy, which is the most coveted prize that a student of philosophy can receive at X University.

Plumbing has also enabled me to develop the ability to see a project through from start to finish. Some projects may appear to be daunting or overwhelming, but they are manageable when they are perceived of in distinct and subsequent stages. This skill was particularly useful in the completion of my one-hundred page honors thesis. The yearlong project appeared to be prima facie unachievable, but when I envisioned it in the respective stages of research, writing, and revisions I realized that it was indeed manageable and worthwhile. Many of my peers, however, abandoned their projects throughout various stages of the year.

The non-technical aspect of this industry has also provided me with with skills that have helped me develop as an individual. Plumbing by nature is a craft that requires a great deal of planning, time management and forward thinking. For example, every job requires a concise estimate and an accurate understanding of how long it will take to complete said job before it is even started. Moreover, my work within this field has taught me the value of professionalism and integrity. The development of these skills and values have enabled me to become a confident individual who is capable of handling a wide variety of both academic and non-academic tasks.

Working in this particular field has also taught me the value of adaptability, flexibility, and ingenuity. Creating a sound plan from the onset of a given project is of course necessary, but it is inevitable that something will go wrong or circumstances will alter. For example, an employee may fail to report to work or a tool may break on the job. Nevertheless, the job must be completed within the given timeframe and it is the company’s responsibility to ensure that this is the case. As a result, I have been forced to think in both a creative and critical fashion to ensure that the job proceeds irrespective of unforeseen hindrances. These skills have been invaluable in the academic setting and they have also allowed for me to be a versatile employee in the Office of Admissions while serving as a tour guide for four years.

I have a genuine respect for plumbing in that it has provided my Father with the means to enable me to be the first individual in my family to receive a bachelors degree. Moreover, it has provided me with a skill-set and a sense of maturity that has enabled me to be successful at X University and I am confident that these attributes will enable me to succeed in law school as well. Working the the field of plumbing has also allowed for me to become a more well-rounded individual and develop a perspective that cannot necessarily be fostered within an academic setting. This is to say that pluming has taught me that every situation can be fruitful and insightful if a proper approach is employed. With this said, It is up to me to continue on the path to becoming a professional individual who can contribute to society in a diverse and productive manner.

Hi everyone! This is a rough draft of my personal statement. Please PM me or post a comment with any insight or feedback whatsoever. Thank you so much in advance for your efforts!

jrc223

Bronze

Re: Plumbing: An Unexpected Means of Growth (LS - PS)

Post by jrc223 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 pm

You're clearly intelligent, but this PS lacks personality, and it sounds almost robotic at times. Additionally, it gets repetitive--after your introductory paragraphs, the essay basically recycles the "X aspect of plumbing has also taught me y. For example..." structure over and over again. If you don't want to change the theme of your PS, you should at least consider altering how you write it and attempt to make it more personal.

One last note: I would avoid listing things that can be found on your resume (such as the philosophy prize) and would not directly compare myself with other students (paragraph 5).

Penguin515

New

Post by Penguin515 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:53 pm

jrc223 wrote:You're clearly intelligent, but this PS lacks personality, and it sounds almost robotic at times. Additionally, it gets repetitive--after your introductory paragraphs, the essay basically recycles the "X aspect of plumbing has also taught me y. For example..." structure over and over again. If you don't want to change the theme of your PS, you should at least consider altering how you write it and attempt to make it more personal.

One last note: I would avoid listing things that can be found on your resume (such as the philosophy prize) and would not directly compare myself with other students (paragraph 5).

Thank you for your insights! I agree with the comments regarding the tone/style. Upon reflection the comparison to other students does not come off the way I anticipated and it doesn't do much to promote myself in a positive way. Thanks for giving it a close read! I will continue to work on it.

jbates14

New

Post by jbates14 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:48 am

There seems to be some sort of disconnect. At first, I was somewhat interested, but then it kept going about how plumbing did this and did that. I think you overplaying the plumbing aspect on your development and it comes out in the statement. Maybe plumbing did change your life, but it seems artificial in this writing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”