Which topic should I choose for my Personal Statement? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jdwinn0963

New

Which topic should I choose for my Personal Statement?

Post by jdwinn0963 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:23 pm

I have a personal statement written already but it isn't very good so I am starting fresh. I was diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome, a neurological disorder that causes motor and/or vocal tics when I was seven. I want to use this as my topic because growing up with it had a significant impact on who I am. Here are my two topics I am deciding between. Which one do you think would be better?

TOPIC#1
I would write about my experience growing up with TS and how it has impacted my life. I would write how it gave me a different perspective on life and has caused me to look at the world in a different light. I would continue by discussing how I have always admired my hero, Abraham Lincoln's ability to look at issues from other people's perspective and would always listen to other people's opinions even if he didn't agree or already made up his mind on an issue being discussed. I would continue by talking about how I can relate to Abraham Lincoln's ability because of the perspective TS has given me. I would conclude with how I feel my experience with TS and perspective would make me a great lawyer.

TOPIC #2
I would write about my experience growing up with TS and how it has impacted my life and gave me a unique perspective. I would write how I grew up visiting the Neurologist regularly and was part of a Tourette's syndrome support group during my childhood and how it made me interested in health care. I would continue by talking about how through high school, I was focused on pursuing a clinical career and started studying Medical Assisting out of high school, which fueled my passion for health care even more. I decided I wanted to continue my education in health care and focused on health care administration. Through my undergrad, I noticed the major issues facing health care now and in the future and how it led me to want to focus on health law to be an advocate for change in the health care field. I would conclude that I offer a well rounded approach to a career in health law since I would have clinical, administrative, and legal knowledge and because of my experience with TS.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”