Basic Personal Statement Question Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
bobbybird

New

Basic Personal Statement Question

Post by bobbybird » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi guys, I have a fairly basic question but after scouring the forum for old topics, I wasn't really able to get it answered. I'll apologize off the bat if this question is mundane or if it has been answered in other topics. Also, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and/or answer it.

Either way, here it is: A lot of people are developing and posting drafts to personal statements already for the upcoming cycle. I was under the impression that applications for the upcoming cycle don't open until August 15th at the earliest, so how are people accessing the personal statement topics? I know generally the topic is broad and also that schools often choose to keep their personal statements the same from year to year, but I still am unsure how I can actually access this topic for most schools in the T14 (besides Michigan who has their application up year round). I don't want to get caught writing for a topic that isn't brought up in the actual application, so if someone could please clear this up for me, it'd be great.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read this.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Re: Basic Personal Statement Question

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:16 pm

I think you have a gross conceptual error here - the schools don't provide you with a topic for your personal statement, or even very much guidance beyond possibly a maximum length. You can write about whatever you'd like.

bobbybird

New

Post by bobbybird » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:49 pm

... If that's the case, I feel pretty stupid right now. I just thought there would be nuances between schools about exactly what they would be looking for in a personal statement.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:21 am

bobbybird wrote:... If that's the case, I feel pretty stupid right now. I just thought there would be nuances between schools about exactly what they would be looking for in a personal statement.
A very few schools have a totally different topic, but the vast majority use a vague prompt that any old personal essay will fulfill. A few specify that you need to address certain things ("why law school" or "academic strengths" or something), but slight variations can be worked in after you get a basic PS written.

bobbybird

New

Post by bobbybird » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:34 am

Thank you for helping clear this up for me!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”