PS Topic Choice - Thoughts appreciated Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

PS Topic Choice - Thoughts appreciated

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 27, 2014 12:01 pm

I am vacillating between two PS topics and I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on which might be better.

1. I have been working as a paralegal for the past 3 years and I have sat second chair as a trial technician in 6 jury trials. It could be as many as 9 by the time I actually submit applications. My work experience is substantive and I have good war stories. Also, I am very certain of what path I'd like to take in law school.

2. I did a National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) backpacking course in Alaska the summer going into my senior year of college and the last 4 days were spent without instructors. I was group leader of my group of 4 and I had a "lost in the wilderness" experience that makes for a pretty good story and it genuinely was one of the most important formative experiences of my life.

I can provide more details on either one if necessary but I am just looking for initial thoughts on which topic to choose.

Thanks in advance.

papercut

Silver

Re: PS Topic Choice - Thoughts appreciated

Post by papercut » Tue May 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am vacillating between two PS topics and I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on which might be better.

1. I have been working as a paralegal for the past 3 years and I have sat second chair as a trial technician in 6 jury trials. It could be as many as 9 by the time I actually submit applications. My work experience is substantive and I have good war stories. Also, I am very certain of what path I'd like to take in law school.

2. I did a National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) backpacking course in Alaska the summer going into my senior year of college and the last 4 days were spent without instructors. I was group leader of my group of 4 and I had a "lost in the wilderness" experience that makes for a pretty good story and it genuinely was one of the most important formative experiences of my life.

I can provide more details on either one if necessary but I am just looking for initial thoughts on which topic to choose.

Thanks in advance.
I'd go with #2. The info for #1 will be in your resume.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue May 27, 2014 12:25 pm

I think both would be fine, so write whatever you think would make a good PS. It is probably easier to write about 2, but if they are of the exact same quality 1 would probably be more helpful to your app.

doing_it_in_a_car

Bronze

Post by doing_it_in_a_car » Tue May 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Your PS topic should depend upon your application as a whole - think about what your work experience/transcript/letters of recommendation/LSAT score say about you - and write your PS to round out your application as a whole.

For example, I was a traditional splitter (high lsat and low gpa, especially due to bad grades senior year). I was aware that the typical presumption of splitters is that they are smart but immature/lazy. Thus, I wrote my PS to focus on my work experience (similar to your topic #1) to overcome this presumption. To pull off an essay like this - you must be SPECIFIC and PERSONAL. In my PS, I told the story of a negotiations matter that I worked on as a paralegal, the moral challenges I faced in advocating for our client, reconciling those challenges with my personal values, and ultimately tied it into why I want to pursue a career in law. I was careful to tell this story in a way that was not merely a regurgitation of my resume and not some flowery, abstract musing about what the law is. I wrote about specific tasks I worked on and my thoughts as the case progressed. I think this PS served me well, as I got into my first choice (ED Penn).

If you have a solid GPA and a solid LSAT score, then you would have more license to be creative, since your academic achievements speak for themselves. In that case, you should probably go with topic #2 to show that you're not only qualified, but that you're interesting/fun.

However, if you are a splitter or reverse splitter (or have an C+F or other issues that call your maturity into question), I think you should seriously consider topic #1. It is often repeated that you do not have to write about "why law" in your PS, but if you have issues in your app regarding your maturity or motivation, a PS about your substantiated, genuine interest in the law could help ease adcom's concerns about you.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Tue May 27, 2014 9:09 pm

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:Your PS topic should depend upon your application as a whole - think about what your work experience/transcript/letters of recommendation/LSAT score say about you - and write your PS to round out your application as a whole.

For example, I was a traditional splitter (high lsat and low gpa, especially due to bad grades senior year). I was aware that the typical presumption of splitters is that they are smart but immature/lazy. Thus, I wrote my PS to focus on my work experience (similar to your topic #1) to overcome this presumption. To pull off an essay like this - you must be SPECIFIC and PERSONAL. In my PS, I told the story of a negotiations matter that I worked on as a paralegal, the moral challenges I faced in advocating for our client, reconciling those challenges with my personal values, and ultimately tied it into why I want to pursue a career in law. I was careful to tell this story in a way that was not merely a regurgitation of my resume and not some flowery, abstract musing about what the law is. I wrote about specific tasks I worked on and my thoughts as the case progressed. I think this PS served me well, as I got into my first choice (ED Penn).

If you have a solid GPA and a solid LSAT score, then you would have more license to be creative, since your academic achievements speak for themselves. In that case, you should probably go with topic #2 to show that you're not only qualified, but that you're interesting/fun.

However, if you are a splitter or reverse splitter (or have an C+F or other issues that call your maturity into question), I think you should seriously consider topic #1. It is often repeated that you do not have to write about "why law" in your PS, but if you have issues in your app regarding your maturity or motivation, a PS about your substantiated, genuine interest in the law could help ease adcom's concerns about you.
Quality post.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 28, 2014 1:55 pm

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:Your PS topic should depend upon your application as a whole - think about what your work experience/transcript/letters of recommendation/LSAT score say about you - and write your PS to round out your application as a whole.

Thanks for the reply. I am in a similar situation to yours (ha, minus applying ED to Penn) so I think I am going to go with topic #1 . Your advice about avoiding flowery musings about the law is on point because I am guilty of that in some of my first drafts.

Thanks again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”