how to spin this? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
secondshot

New

how to spin this?

Post by secondshot » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:48 pm

I have over ten years experience in Loss Prevention. This is a specialized industry where I worked in internal investigations for various corporations. Essentially, when an employee was stealing from the business, they called me in to investigate and interview the subject based on the evidence, then used the evidence and the subject's statement to make a case against him for the police department.

The first five years was working in Loss Prevention as a basic agent (grunt), meaning I would catch shoplifters, undercover in retail stores. I probably arrested well over 5000 individuals for crimes ranging from petty theft, burglary, conspiracy, etc. I also spent almost a year as an undercover employee for a business to infiltrate a theft ring within the company. It resulted in the arrest of over 15 employees and the case yielded over 300K in restitution and several convictions. The case was publicized in the local newspapers, etc and credited me as the undercover employee who "cracked the case". I went on to manage several LP programs at various businesses.

Anyway, my first question is, how much does having this background even help me when applying to LS's? If it does, how would I go about presenting this in my PS, in the most compelling way? I don't want to just lay the it all out there, as it's a dry topic. So how would I connect this in an engaging way that shows how my interest in law derives from my years spent in an industry related to law?

Thanks for your help.

jn7

Bronze

Re: how to spin this?

Post by jn7 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:15 pm

It'd definitely be cool/memorable application, but as you probably know, it'll be based almost solely on your numbers.

I would think this will DEFINITELY help you when you interviewing. I would be salavating at the prospect of being asked what I did before law school with a story like that

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Thanks, yes, I absolutely understand my gpa and lsat score are my priority. I never really thought my background in Loss Prevention would help, but I guess I was wrong. So just to clarify, this is something you think I should maybe base my PS on? I mean should this experience be something I highlight, or simply mention? I mean, is it something I just put in my work history part of the ap, or something I write a short paper on? Thanks again guys.

hawkeye10

New

Post by hawkeye10 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:26 pm

secondshot wrote:Thanks, yes, I absolutely understand my gpa and lsat score are my priority. I never really thought my background in Loss Prevention would help, but I guess I was wrong. So just to clarify, this is something you think I should maybe base my PS on? I mean should this experience be something I highlight, or simply mention? I mean, is it something I just put in my work history part of the ap, or something I write a short paper on? Thanks again guys.
Yes, this would be perfect for a personal statement. Did anything funny/strange/unusual happen when you were investigating companies? If so, I'd start with that, transition to how you got into that situation(aka loss prevention as a job), and then talk about how you got interested in law that way.

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:27 pm

hawkeye10 wrote:
secondshot wrote:Thanks, yes, I absolutely understand my gpa and lsat score are my priority. I never really thought my background in Loss Prevention would help, but I guess I was wrong. So just to clarify, this is something you think I should maybe base my PS on? I mean should this experience be something I highlight, or simply mention? I mean, is it something I just put in my work history part of the ap, or something I write a short paper on? Thanks again guys.
Yes, this would be perfect for a personal statement. Did anything funny/strange/unusual happen when you were investigating companies? If so, I'd start with that, transition to how you got into that situation(aka loss prevention as a job), and then talk about how you got interested in law that way.
Perfect, thanks. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:00 pm

It's a good background, and the factual aspects will be covered in your resume, so there's no need to lay it all out in your personal statement. You could draw a strong personal statement from this experience because it's interesting, memorable and relevant. But, to do that effectively, you have to look at it differently. You're not writing your personal statement to describe your experience--you're using your experience to illustrate who you are and what you have to offer.

Determine which characteristics you want to showcase and then think about which aspects of your experience and specific anecdotes best illustrate those characteristics.

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:05 pm

TLSanders wrote:It's a good background, and the factual aspects will be covered in your resume, so there's no need to lay it all out in your personal statement. You could draw a strong personal statement from this experience because it's interesting, memorable and relevant. But, to do that effectively, you have to look at it differently. You're not writing your personal statement to describe your experience--you're using your experience to illustrate who you are and what you have to offer.

Determine which characteristics you want to showcase and then think about which aspects of your experience and specific anecdotes best illustrate those characteristics.

Excellent suggestions, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”