A school is requesting a LSAT score increase explanation. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

A school is requesting a LSAT score increase explanation.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:40 pm

What do you guys think?

When I originally took the LSAT I studied using a prep course. I followed the course rigorously and spent majority of my time trying to complete the homework assignments (80% of my time). By the time the course had ended I took the LSAT without taking any real structured exams. When I received my score back I realized I had to work hard and I thought it would be a great opportunity to self-study. The prep course was beneficial to a certain extent but it did not enhance my overall skills. Instead, it limited my skills to what I assumed would be necessary for the exam.
I soon realized that the prep course approach was not effective for me instead it hindered my ability to improve my score and really understand the structure of the exam. The second time I approached the exam I altered the way I studied. I created a customized plan that reflected my strength and weakness. My plan consisted of taking 3 LSAT Exams a week, and spending the rest of the four days reviewing the exams. This approach allowed me to highlight what I needed to focus on. For every question that I missed I would recycle it and I visit the question later on. Also, if I missed any questions on a logic game I would print out 5 copies and play the game until I mastered the logic.
I believe the new score is more representative of my abilities and ask that these circumstances be taken into consideration when evaluating my multiple LSAT scores.

Clearly

Gold

Re: A school is requesting a LSAT score increase explanation.

Post by Clearly » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Don't use this. They don't want details in how many times you did each logic game. Cut this by half.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:49 pm

thank you for the feedback.

When I originally took the LSAT I studied using a prep course. I followed the course rigorously and spent majority of my time trying to complete the homework assignments (80% of my time). By the time the course had ended I took the LSAT without taking any real structured exams. When I received my score back I realized I had to work hard and I thought it would be a great opportunity to self-study. The prep course was beneficial to a certain extent but it did not enhance my overall skills. Instead, it limited my skills to what I assumed would be necessary for the exam. I soon realized that the prep course approach was not effective for me instead it hindered my ability to improve my score and really understand the structure of the exam. The second time

I approached the exam I altered the way I studied. I created a customized plan that reflected my strength and weakness. My plan consisted of taking 3 LSAT Exams a week, and spending the rest of the four days reviewing the exams. This approach allowed me to highlight what I needed to focus on.

I believe the new score is more representative of my abilities and ask that these circumstances be taken into consideration when evaluating my multiple LSAT scores.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Still think it's too long. It's no secret that just about anyone can learn how to take the LSAT if they've got the time and motivation. I think you can get away with saying the first time you took it you didn't practice as much as you needed to (especially with no PTs), and the second time you actually practiced taking the exam, which is why you were able to score higher the second time around.

See? Easy.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:59 pm

I still think it's too long, but I also think that since the school is officially requesting it you have some room for explanation. That explanation shouldn't be overly detailed, but I do think it can be longer than the normally recommended 2-sentence LSAT addendum that most people submit unrequested.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Still way too long and detailed. I had taken a prep course that didn't fully prepare me for the exam. Having realized I hadn't reached my potential, I dedicated more time to studying, and believe my second LSAT is more representative of my ability.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Thnak you I will revise it so it is short and sweet! :)

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:07 am

"I was not feeling well during the first test. I always try my best, but apparently was just not up to it."

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 am

The results were not up to my standards, so I buckled down, worked hard, and got the score I wanted

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”