First draft needs constructive criticism Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
FrenchDonkey

New

First draft needs constructive criticism

Post by FrenchDonkey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks for your comments!
Last edited by FrenchDonkey on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kublaikahn

Silver

Re: First draft needs constructive criticism

Post by kublaikahn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:03 am

Pick a thesis and write about it. In the first paragraph you seem to want to tell us about a moral dilemma or ambivalence you felt. But you do nothing to develop this conflict. Moreover, I find the plot cliche. "I travelled to distant lands, slayed the dragon, returned to glory." Not all that original. But you could use your experience in the northern capital to tell us an interesting story instead.

Moreover, your piece is essentially a bullet list of your qualities (i.e. grace under pressure, etc.) but never really demonstrate that. It is like telling someone your car is fast. Better to take it around the track once or twice and let them see it. Simply stating "I thrive under pressure" lacks credibility. You need to tell a story that demonstrates your abilities.

You need to write in the active voice and use descriptive verbs. Don't start you sentences with "it" when there is no "it".

Get rid of your last paragraph. You sound naive explaining the similarities of law and education. It is not useful or necessary.

And get rid of the throat clearing phrases at the start of your sentences. (Example: "Nonetheless, surprisingly, ").

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”