Alcohol Charges Addendum Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
NextLevy

New

Alcohol Charges Addendum

Post by NextLevy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Just wanted some advice on whether or not I included enough (or included too much) information for a C&D statement. Also, does anyone have any experience with how negatively these charges could effect admission chances? Thanks in advance. Here's what I have:

In June of 2010 I was arrested and charged with a DUI in Dewey, Delaware. I was admitted into Delaware's first offender program, which required me to complete an intensive 16-session alcohol treatment program. I successfully completed the program, and my charges were dropped. In June of 2011 in Arlington, Virginia I was charged with underage possession of alcohol, and false identification. I completed 100 hours of community service, and an alcohol substance abuse class, which resulted in my charges being dropped.

Although I am grateful that I have no current convictions, and no one was injured as a result of my actions, I fully understand the risks associated with drinking irresponsibly. With the help of the aforementioned substance abuse programs, I have learned to avoid situations where these problems, or similar problems, may arise. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns regarding these matters.

encore1101

Silver

Re: Alcohol Charges Addendum

Post by encore1101 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:06 pm

I would add in, even though its presumed, that since 2011, you've had no brushes with the criminal justice system (if that's true), whether alcohol-related or not.

I don't think it'd hurt your admissions chances too much, depending on how old you are. Assuming you're applying straight out of undergrad, that makes you relatively young when these incidents occurred, and admissions officers know that everyone is young and dumb at some point.

I would also add in something quick as to why you did those things. Were you just young and inexperienced with the freedoms of being away from college, aka every student who goes to college ever? Put it in. Two alcohol-related incidents when you're 18-20 isn't a "pattern" of immoral character.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Re: Alcohol Charges Addendum

Post by Black_Swan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:27 pm

With the help of the aforementioned substance abuse programs, I have learned to avoid situations where these problems, or similar problems, may arise. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns regarding these matters.[/quote]

You may need to reword this. It gives the impression that you have issues with substance abuse and have no control in "situations" where alcohol is involved vs you acted irresponsibly on two unrelated occasions and assumed fully responsibility for your actions.
Only u know which one it is :)

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”