DUI Addendum advice/critique Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

DUI Addendum advice/critique

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:42 am

I did a quick search of the forums and drafted an addendum for my application based on what I found. I would truly appreciate any constructive criticism you may have towards the following:

On [date withheld], I was arrested and initially charged with driving under the influence (Florida Statute 316.193) as well as possession of alcohol by a minor (Florida Statute 562.11). I completed the Back on Track program for first-time DUI offenders and plead guilty to the reduced charge of reckless driving (Florida Statute 316.192(1)(A)). The charge of possession of alcohol by a minor was dropped. This was the first and only time I have ever been arrested.

The Back on Track program required me to attend a DUI Victim Impact Panel, DUI School, 14 group sessions on substance abuse treatment, 14 Alcoholics Anonymous sessions, and complete 40 hours of community service. My license was suspended for six months.

By completing the Back on Track program, I witnessed first-hand how driving under the influence may ruin both lives and families, and I am grateful to have been pulled over that night before anything worse may have happened. While I am not proud my mistake, this event gave me a newfound perspective on what I need to prioritize in my life. I learned to avoid situations that may lead to this mistake, and to focus on my own personal development instead. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need more information regarding this matter.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, TLS.

jac101689

Bronze

Re: DUI Addendum advice/critique

Post by jac101689 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did a quick search of the forums and drafted an addendum for my application based on what I found. I would truly appreciate any constructive criticism you may have towards the following:

On [date withheld], I was arrested and initially charged with driving under the influence (Florida Statute 316.193) as well as possession of alcohol by a minor (Florida Statute 562.11). I completed the Back on Track program for first-time DUI offenders and plead guilty to the reduced charge of reckless driving (Florida Statute 316.192(1)(A)). The charge of possession of alcohol by a minor was dropped. This was the first and only time I have ever been arrested.

The Back on Track program required me to attend a DUI Victim Impact Panel, DUI School, 14 group sessions on substance abuse treatment, 14 Alcoholics Anonymous sessions, and complete 40 hours of community service. My license was suspended for six months.

You should probably state that you completed all the programs and community-service requirements.

By completing the Back on Track program, I witnessed first-hand how driving under the influence may ruin both lives and families, and I am grateful to have been pulled over that night before anything worse may have happened.While I am not proud my mistake, this event gave me a newfound perspective on what I need to prioritize in my life. I learned to avoid situations that may lead to this mistake, and to focus on my own personal development instead. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need more information regarding this matter.

Anonymous User

Re: DUI Addendum advice/critique

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:38 am

jac101689 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did a quick search of the forums and drafted an addendum for my application based on what I found. I would truly appreciate any constructive criticism you may have towards the following:

You should probably state that you completed all the programs and community-service requirements.

By completing the Back on Track program, I witnessed first-hand how driving under the influence may ruin both lives and families, and I am grateful to have been pulled over that night before anything worse may have happened.While I am not proud my mistake, this event gave me a newfound perspective on what I need to prioritize in my life. I learned to avoid situations that may lead to this mistake, and to focus on my own personal development instead. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need more information regarding this matter.

Thank you.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”