Avoid this topic? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Avoid this topic?

Post by HarvardHopeful » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:30 pm

x
Last edited by HarvardHopeful on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Avoid this topic?

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:33 pm

As long as the PS is about YOU, not your brother, there's no problem with the death of a brother as a topic. Whether the PS is any good depends on your writing.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:10 am

The death of a family member can be a good topic. Write about what is important to you.
My PS dealt in part with the death of my father and all the shit that happened after. I didn't tie it into why law though . Just who I am. Not sure it helped me but it definitely didn't hurt.

Your story is your own. Don't be afraid to tell it.

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:20 am

Last edited by HarvardHopeful on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:53 am

I don't think personal statements have to say why law. I think asha from Yale has a blog post about that.

My feeling is that you can write a better statement about who you are writing about your life over writing about a book. I like the insight that your drive is your own. And you can write about your accomplishments too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:49 pm

NYstate wrote:I don't think personal statements have to say why law. I think asha from Yale has a blog post about that.

My feeling is that you can write a better statement about who you are writing about your life over writing about a book. I like the insight that your drive is your own. And you can write about your accomplishments too.
Thanks asha's blog post was helpful thanks for referring it!

I think I'm going to go for it.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:33 pm

HarvardHopeful wrote:
NYstate wrote:I don't think personal statements have to say why law. I think asha from Yale has a blog post about that.

Thanks asha's blog post was helpful thanks for referring it!

I think I'm going to go for it.
Good idea. I think you can get a great PS out of your story.

Sorry I didn't post the link for you. I'll put it the link to her blog in case anyone else is reading and wants to find it.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... fault.aspx

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:08 pm

I just finished a first rough draft on this subject and was hoping someone could help me out by giving some advice and/or editing it. Now that I'm finished this draft, I know I want to keep this topic but I'm willing to change content and definitely open to any advice people have!

I can PM it or can send it by email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”