GW Optional Statement Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

GW Optional Statement

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Thinking about writing my optional statement about my family's commitment to public service and how that has affected me. My grandpa was a doctor in the Peace Corps and my grandma was a family planning advocate and lobbyist; they worked together to get Plan B legalized. My mom was also a social worker and worked with a lot of impoverished children. As a result of this upbringing, I've always valued volunteering. I'm planning on going into Public Interest law and GW has a lot of clinics that interest me.

OK topic?

Anonymous User

Re: GW Optional Statement

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thinking about writing my optional statement about my family's commitment to public service and how that has affected me. My grandpa was a doctor in the Peace Corps and my grandma was a family planning advocate and lobbyist; they worked together to get Plan B legalized. My mom was also a social worker and worked with a lot of impoverished children. As a result of this upbringing, I've always valued volunteering. I'm planning on going into Public Interest law and GW has a lot of clinics that interest me.

OK topic?
Bump. Advice appreciated.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:13 pm

What is the prompt?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:32 pm

bluepenguin wrote:What is the prompt?
Here is the prompt: Applicants may, but are not required to, submit an optional statement of 300 words or less discussing characteristics and accomplishments they believe will contribute positively to the GW Law School community and to the legal profession.

And here is my (very rough) draft:

Though I grew up in a largely suburban area, I never considered myself confined by this upbringing. When I was young, my parents and I moved in with my grandpa. My grandpa, a physician and former doctor in the Peace Corps, had traveled extensively throughout the course of his life. I vividly remember him telling me stories about his years spent in Kenya, Malawi, and Egypt. In addition, my step grandma was a lobbyist and family planning advocate who worked to legalize Plan B. Growing up in this household, I do not recall a single dinner conversation that did not revolve around politics or the latest international issue. My grandpa and step grandma both passed away at a young age. However, they had an undeniably lasting impact on me. Both of them had dedicated their lives to aiding those who could not afford medical help, and enhancing women’s reproductive rights.

This upbringing taught me the importance of public service, and also expanded my worldview. While many of my friends spent their time watching the latest popular show, I watched documentaries and kept myself as informed as possible about world events. In addition, I have always been politically active; I spent a great deal of time campaigning in the 2008 election and in the most recent election. Just as my grandpa and step grandma did, I have always been willing to fight and advocate for my beliefs. Both my volunteering experiences and several of my classes, such as Wealth and Poverty, have incentivized me to continue dedicating my life to improving others’ lives. As such, it seems only natural to me to practice Public Interest law. The prestigious Public Service Program, particularly several of the Legal Clinics, along with my desire to practice law in the District of Columbia, make George Washington University my ideal choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”