Off Limits? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
simplycatalina

Silver

Off Limits?

Post by simplycatalina » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:43 pm

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide what to decide to write my personal statement about. I was in an abusive relationship for a year or so--I was able to get out of it but it definitely impacted my life. After that, I volunteered at a few domestic abuse shelters. I also volunteered at underprivileged elementary schools and met several kids who had dealt with abusive parents. In numerous cases, the legal system failed them and they were unable to get away from their abuser. My decision to apply to law school closely relates to my desire to improve this situation, but I'm concerned about mentioning it in a personal statement. I will obviously not phrase it as if I am a victim. Rather, I was intending to phrase it as a motivating factor that has given me the drive to pursue law. Still, I'm concerned...is the topic off limits/offensive to admissions committees?

bluepenguin

Bronze

Re: Off Limits?

Post by bluepenguin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Well if you were comfortable doing so it would be better to explain your relationship to give the full context. But even without it it's a fine topic so long as you explain the formative effect it had on your life and personality and, maybe, how that's driving you into the arms of law school.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:08 am

It's a great idea in the tone you suggested. Go for it

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:38 pm

I appreciate the advice but I'm still confused about how to phrase it. I want to talk about my relationship briefly but I also need to make sure I touch on the other experiences sufficiently, along with tying it directly to law school. Any general thoughts about how to do so??

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:02 pm

OP, I think this would be fine. Feel free to post or PM me your PS and I would be happy to look over it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FranielMcbrodude

New

Post by FranielMcbrodude » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:10 am

I wrote my ps on that. I framed it as overcoming and finding purpose and direction in being a survivor of domestic violence. I began mine with a very brief narrative about the abuse and its aftermath (social fall out, courts, etc) and then focused more on how surviving it changed my outlook, political leanings, and solidified the course I wanted to take in life. I ended it more with where I wanted to take it.

I've only heard back from one school, but so far so good. We can trade PS if you want (though, massive trigger warning for mine).

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 am

I have a draft completed--Anyone willing to look it over?

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:41 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:I have a draft completed--Anyone willing to look it over?
Yes. PM me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”