Personal Statement Topic..What do you think???? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
karmaman

Bronze

Personal Statement Topic..What do you think????

Post by karmaman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:37 am

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a while, but this is my first post. I took the December LSAT so now I'm just working on wrapping up these apps to have them ready to send right away..What do you guys think of this topic for my PS..

After graduating with an international business degree I seized an opportunity to travel abroad and work in Egypt, where my dad is a development agent for the largest fast food chain in the world. All the while Egypt is undergoing a series of political changes and demonstrations, ultimately being dubbed the "Arab Spring". The main place where all the protests were happening, The Tahrir Square, was a block away from where I was working so I was constantly surrounded by the sounds of revolution. I want to speak of how the square became a symbol for freedom, change, justice, peace, etc... and how similarly the law also symbolizes all these ideals. Do you guys think this is a solid topic? I feel that its a pretty unique experience to have been there during this very monumental time in the country's history.

Also, do you think I should speak about my work and what I did in addition to the parallal symbolism between the two or should I just focus on the experience of basically being part of the revolution? Throughout my stay I participated in many a demonstration and even helped translate some interviews from native egyptians to foreign journalists. Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks guys!!

bluepenguin

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement Topic..What do you think????

Post by bluepenguin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:45 am

Has potential. Kind of depends on GPA/LSAT, target schools, resume, and of course how good of a writer you are. I can imagine it working brilliantly.

karmaman

Bronze

Post by karmaman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:00 am

Thanks for the reply! GPA is 3.3, LSAT is 159 first time, but took it in December and was PT from 168-172 and I felt the Dec LSAT was way easier than any of the PTs, so I'm pretty sure its going to be a substantial improvement. Softs are ok, worked at a law firm for the past three summers while in undergrad then this overseas gig, founded a charity while in highschool ( might be kind of outdated, but might be worth a mention) and partnered who worked with children with autism and we recorded an album to be used in musical therapy programs. I think I'm going to apply to most of the top 25, but ultimately I would love to go to SC/UCLA since I'm an LA native and want to live and practice here.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:43 am

Hmm. I would think you'd want to do roughly what you described: connect the square to the law as an explanation for why you want to be involved in the law. Draft something up. :)

The GPA's gonna be tough. A great PS plus a 170+ might put you in play at Boalt, but I thought they preferred GPA to LSAT. Same with USC, although you might be in range there with a strong LSAT as well. UCLA seems like you'd be competitive.

karmaman

Bronze

Post by karmaman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 am

Thanks Bluepenguin!! Ya my GPA really just took a hit from my first semester of college, freshman partying got to me and class was definitely an afterthought, but I got it together after that. Ya I'll try and get a draft up as soon as possible. Oh and excuse my ignorance, but Boalt stands for what exactly? Yea hopefully I break the 170 barrier, this suspense is killing me!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 am

Berk

karmaman

Bronze

Post by karmaman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Oh k thanks! Anyone else have any feedback?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”