Does a DS have to be about Race/Ethinicity? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Does a DS have to be about Race/Ethinicity?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:56 pm

As a Mexican American, I feel like I could probably right one about my ethnicity. But I also did about 400 hours of psychological research as a research assistant during undergrad, and I feel like this could just as easily add "diversity" to a 1L class...

Does anyone know whether or not DS are reserved only for subjects about URM, or if it is okay to write about other subjects as well?

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: Does a DS have to be about Race/Ethinicity?

Post by WhiteyCakes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:07 pm

I know that DS don't have to be restricted to traditional definitions of diversity (race). For instance I wrote mine on being a parent, others wrote theirs on socio-economic diversity.

In your case, I'm not sure it would work, but it all depends on how you write it. It could come off as you being "just another psych major"

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:33 am

Are there some examples of diversity statements where the subject is not "overcoming adversity"? Are there positive diversity statements? I think I would add quite a bit of diversity, but most of the examples I read are about how someone overcame a challenge and I really dislike that sort of tone as it feels forced to me.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:36 am

defdef wrote:Are there some examples of diversity statements where the subject is not "overcoming adversity"? Are there positive diversity statements? I think I would add quite a bit of diversity, but most of the examples I read are about how someone overcame a challenge and I really dislike that sort of tone as it feels forced to me.
I'm a walking diversity statement and I milked it for all its worth without touching socioeconomic status or race/ethnicity

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:39 am

dingbat wrote:
defdef wrote:Are there some examples of diversity statements where the subject is not "overcoming adversity"? Are there positive diversity statements? I think I would add quite a bit of diversity, but most of the examples I read are about how someone overcame a challenge and I really dislike that sort of tone as it feels forced to me.
I'm a walking diversity statement and I milked it for all its worth without touching socioeconomic status or race/ethnicity
But was it still an "overcoming adversity" pitch or something different?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:50 am

defdef wrote:
dingbat wrote:
But was it still an "overcoming adversity" pitch or something different?
My diversity focused on my diversity. My parents and grandparents have origins in 7 different countries, my siblings and I each live in a different continent, I have family in a dozen country's and I've lived in 3 countries for 5+ years.
I've travelled a lot (not as much as I'd like) and lived in many different environments.
I touched (briefly) on socioeconomic issues in my PS, but more to give color to my current trajectory, not as a focal point.
"overcoming diversity" is such an overplayed piece of BS, I steered clear of it, for thd most part.

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:06 am

word, my story is pretty similar to the one you describe and i wanted to shoot towards how positive it has all been not towards any adversity i necessarily faced. thanks dingbat

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:19 am

LOL - Dingbat, that's amazing! My DS was similar in that it wasn't about overcoming adversity, it was about the unique things that I would bring to my lawl skool class, as a result of having a kind of crazy family/life experience. (Not quite as diverse as Dingbat's, but think along those lines.) I have only seen one "I've overcome..." DS that I really liked (and that one was flat-out one of the best essays I've ever read); what worked for me was saying, "Here is something about me that makes me really different from most applicants you'll see and here's how that something could make me a positive addition to this class, overall."
Or something like that.
I need more coffee, today.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:15 pm

nygrrrl wrote:LOL - Dingbat, that's amazing! My DS was similar in that it wasn't about overcoming adversity, it was about the unique things that I would bring to my lawl skool class, as a result of having a kind of crazy family/life experience. (Not quite as diverse as Dingbat's, but think along those lines.) I have only seen one "I've overcome..." DS that I really liked (and that one was flat-out one of the best essays I've ever read); what worked for me was saying, "Here is something about me that makes me really different from most applicants you'll see and here's how that something could make me a positive addition to this class, overall."
Or something like that.
Meet me at Starbucks?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:17 pm

nygrrrl wrote:LOL - Dingbat, that's amazing! My DS was similar in that it wasn't about overcoming adversity, it was about the unique things that I would bring to my lawl skool class, as a result of having a kind of crazy family/life experience. (Not quite as diverse as Dingbat's, but think along those lines.) I have only seen one "I've overcome..." DS that I really liked (and that one was flat-out one of the best essays I've ever read); what worked for me was saying, "Here is something about me that makes me really different from most applicants you'll see and here's how that something could make me a positive addition to this class, overall."
Or something like that.
My resume was my diversity statement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”