To explicitly state why law school Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
LoveLife89

Bronze

To explicitly state why law school

Post by LoveLife89 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 pm

I am receiving a lot of conflicting advice on whether or not it is necessary to include why law school in the PS. I've seen numerous examples where former applicants did not express that and did not seem to be adversely affected. I ask this because I am having some difficulty incorporatin this idea into my PS without sounding artificial and phony.

Any suggestions on how to effectively do this?

privatemember2012

New

Re: To explicitly state why law school

Post by privatemember2012 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Really interested in this as well.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 pm

you dont have to explicitly state why ****law school. What you can do is write your PS, and mold the theme to why you want to go to law school in general ( whatever you write about, you should be able to tie it back to the legal profession). Then at the end, you need to explain what the specific school has to offer, and how that coorelates to you past experience and your goals. (this can obly be a few paragraphs long, and incorporated into the conclusion.)

if you want to really go to a school, write a separate essay explaining why ( what does teh school offer, what are you looking for,how will you make the school better)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 pm

You don't need to explicitly state it. What your essay should NOT do is leave the reader explicitly wondering "why on earth is this person applying to law school instead of [whatever]?" Some topics are more prone to this than others.

So if you talk about a lifetime of playing concert piano, you might want to pivot the essay towards 'why law school.'

But if you're using an anecdote from your life, just use it to illustrate qualities about yourself that would be useful in law school/lawyering.

LoveLife89

Bronze

Post by LoveLife89 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Okay, got it! Thanks so much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”