Work Experience as Diversity? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
omegaomega

New

Work Experience as Diversity?

Post by omegaomega » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:33 am

I know the question might be too general to give a good answer, but still appreciate your thoughts.

I've worked for two years in an industry that in various ways has interactions with the law. I think my work experience gives me a more practical outlook. I transformed from a person who always thinks about what the book says to someone whose primary concern is how to get the business done. I've got specific examples to back up my story of course. Does a practical mindset formed by working experience "contribute to the diversity" of the school? I think so, but my friends find it a bit weird in a DS.

The instruction of the schools always say the topic is not limited to cultural/ethnic/socio-economic background, but is a DS expected to be more or less along thoese lines?

canarykb

Bronze

Re: Work Experience as Diversity?

Post by canarykb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:06 am

I think it depends on the prompt of the school, some are pretty broad, and I feel like its okay to write about any topic that you can make a compelling argument that answers their question. Which is often what unique thing about you will contribute to the school? For examples, Duke's is VERY broad to me:
Optional Essay II: You may submit an essay that describes how you will enhance the educational environment of the Law School and contribute to the diversity of the student body. Because we believe that diversity enriches the educational experience of all our students, Duke Law School seeks to admit students from a variety of academic, cultural, social, ethnic, economic, and other backgrounds. In this essay, you may tell us more about your particular life experiences with an emphasis on how the perspectives that you have acquired would contribute to the intellectual community of the Law School.
I personally am working on one for Duke about being a feminist/working with critical race theory and the experiences that have lead me to these views. It says academic background! I can make a case that my views would add to the intellectual community of the school!

Similarly, if you can make the argument well, I think a topic like this can potentially work, but probably only if it is a DS that has been requested by the school and there is a broad question to answer.

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:34 pm

VasaVasori wrote:It seems a bit weird to me. It seems like most of the top schools have more incoming students who have WE than who don't. Maybe integrate it into/make a PS out of it?
Also wondering why this isn't just your PS topic.

omegaomega

New

Post by omegaomega » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:00 am

IAFG wrote:
VasaVasori wrote:It seems a bit weird to me. It seems like most of the top schools have more incoming students who have WE than who don't. Maybe integrate it into/make a PS out of it?
I have a more compelling and self-contained story to tell in the PS, which is about my upbringing background and discrimination (sounds like a natural topic for DS). But I assume adcomm would spend more time on the PS so I saved the better story in the PS. Or maybe I shouldn't...?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:11 am

omegaomega wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I have a more compelling and self-contained story to tell in the PS, which is about my upbringing background and discrimination (sounds like a natural topic for DS). But I assume adcomm would spend more time on the PS so I saved the better story in the PS. Or maybe I shouldn't...?
I dunno but it sounds, based on your description, that it would make more sense exactly the opposite.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”