Why X essay Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
tsr92

New

Why X essay

Post by tsr92 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Last edited by tsr92 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Re: Why X essay

Post by 20141023 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:12 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tsr92

New

Post by tsr92 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks Regulus!

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:20 pm

tsr92 wrote:Hey everyone,

I was looking for insight on whether this works for the the optional essay for Duke. Any critique welcome. Thanks :)

Prompt: You may submit an essay providing additional information about why you have chosen to apply to law school in general and Duke in particular. We are interested in the factors that have prompted your interest in a legal career and the ways in which you think Duke can further that interest.

Essay:

In my first year at [School], I took a freshmen seminar on sexual harassment and the law. I decided to enroll in this course because I had already been interested in the law for a long time. Throughout my teen years, I told people that I wanted to become a lawyer and that I specifically wanted to work in a field such as family law or child advocacy. Although the seminar was on a topic of law outside of my interests, taking itthis course offered me a chance for me to explore the law in-depth. That course cemented my commitment to attending law school. In the course we read cases, discussed legal issues, and learned about the work of those in the legal field. I was fascinated by the role of the law in shaping society's response to, and understanding of, sexual harassment over time. My interests in helping families and children through the venue of law remains strong, but I am also eager to learn about the law and how it has shaped society as a whole.

Given my interests, I believe that Duke Law School is great fit for me. On top of its stellar academic reputation and great environment vague filler text, there are two things in particular which interest me at Duke. The first is The Children's Law Clinic. As a clinic focused on advocating for at-risk children, this is a clinic which would allow me to explore my interests in child advocacy. The opportunity to pursue my goals before even graduating from law school is something that I highly value and I would look forward to taking part in the clinic. The second thing which interests me is the Duke Forum for Law and Social Change. This journal interests me because each volume focuses on a particular social issue and examines it through the lens of the lawfrom a legal perspective. Previous volumes have delved into things which interest me such as juvenile justice, while others have examined issues less pertinent to my goals. These volumes, however, also seem fascinating, and it is the chance to delve into topics outside of my field of interest which intrigues me. The opportunity to participate in a journal such as this wouldthis journal would allow me to broaden my education and further examine the relationship between the law and society. Inside and outside of the classroom, Duke offers great educational opportunities which would allow me to fully develop as a future lawyer.put this somewhere else, probably at the top For this reason, I am enthusiastic about the prospect of attending Duke Law School.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”