What exactly does an average middle class guy write about? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ohwhereohwhere

New

What exactly does an average middle class guy write about?

Post by ohwhereohwhere » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:30 am

EDIT: Opted to delete.
Last edited by ohwhereohwhere on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawloser22

Bronze

Re: What exactly does an average middle class guy write about?

Post by lawloser22 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:09 am

ohwhereohwhere wrote:I've been brain storming topics, and I'm really not too sure what to write about. I largely think of myself as average in many aspects, but I obviously don't want to convey that in my PS.

What are some good concepts to try and carry through?

I've been told to tell a story, and that by telling that story, I should make clear that I am a mature adult, that has learned from life, and that has acquired the skills that will make me a successful law students. Could some people maybe provide some feedback on a few ideas to help me put together a coherent topic for my PS?

-My father was in the Army, and my earliest memories are of him being in Korea without us. This has fostered a life long interest in the peninsula, which evolved into an academic obsession with its division. I ended up using my internship on Capitol Hill to talk to some CRS guys to learn more on the policy side of our treatment towards the area, and then focused two entire classes during undergrad and a lot of personal study time to learning more about it. Would it be wise to discuss how I turned a personal thing into an academic thing, and carry it over into a hopeful career? I'm not really sure how best to approach this, but as far as "things I'm interested in," this is very close to being at the top of the list.

-I had always wanted to be a pilot. When I was a teenager, I had brain surgery, which I immediately knew would disqualify me as a pilot candidate. I was told, however, that I could still join the Air Force, I just couldn't pilot planes. So, for three months I went through the recruitment process, with my heart set on being a Loadmaster, my loophole to flying planes. I thought I had figured out a way to fulfill my dream, serve my country, and make my father proud of me. I was crushed when I was permanently DQ'd. Two months later, I lazily found my way into college, surprised with the offer of a free ride. I nearly lost this scholarship my first semester, and that really woke me up. I took stock of myself, decided to never aggressively waste opportunity again, and ended up graduating summa cum laude (not from a super high ranked school, thought). During this time, I repeatedly met opportunities and took full advantage of them, and I had quite a few awesome experiences that have positively affected the way I approach life and my goals.

Would either line of discussion be worthy for a fleshed out PS, or should I dig deeper for something more substantial?
I had the same problem. Ever had a life-changing experience? That's what you write about. PM me if you need more help.

canarykb

Bronze

Post by canarykb » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:53 pm

The first topic seems better to me, because you can express your passion about it, but it also seems to work better into a "Why law?" conclusion.

One of the first things I have noticed in reading other PSs on this site is whether or not the statement seems sincere. It's obvious right away if someone is just writing what they think will look best to the adcomms. Pick a topic you're most passionate about as long as you can related back to "Why law?" or "Why would i be a good lawyer?".

I mean, it's only a two page paper, so you can write a rough draft for each topic, and see which one that (1) you enjoy writing most & (2) flows most naturally into a law topic. Just my two cents.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:04 pm

"Why Law" is such a stupid fucking subject. You are applying to law school, unless you have some phenomenally different route in law you want to take (suffering a great childhood tragedy that a good lawyer could have adverted, and you want to be that type of lawyer to protect other kids) then law schools couldn't give a fuck less why you want to be a lawyer. If you want to save international birds or fuck over small businesses at a mega firm, they don't give a shit either way.

Also don't talk about why you would be a good lawyer. Everybody in law school was told by their friends they would make a good lawyer, that doesn't mean you will be a good lawyer, that just means you are an asshole who argues about everything for no good reason.

The PS is the one way you can convince the law school that having you there will make the school better. Tell them a story about you that articulates your value to the law school and the community it sends its grads. Think about common interview questions ("name a time you had to overcome adversity to achieve a goal" or "Name a time you had to work as a team/leader to get something done" or something along those lines) and then talk yourself up as if you are touchdown jesus single-handedly winning it for the gipper.

canarykb

Bronze

Post by canarykb » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm not saying your topic should be WHY I WANT TO BE A LAWYER, but I think there should be an obvious purpose for why you're writing on the topic for a personal statement; showing qualities that make you a good lawyer, how you got to be applying, or, as you mention, what you'd bring to the school. Just lovely language in your response, btw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ohwhereohwhere

New

Post by ohwhereohwhere » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Last edited by ohwhereohwhere on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:45 pm

ohwhereohwhere wrote:Birdnals, with that said, I'm still uncertain as to what I'd do. With the first option, my passion over studying North Korea, I think I run the risk of sounding like "and I want to save those millions of oppressed North Koreans," and I don't want to do that.
No, all these essays are supposed to say “why should we accept you” not “why law”. The best PS’s, IMO, don’t have a “and that’s why I would make a good lawyer” or “And that’s why I want to practice law” sentences in them. They are just good stories that make the Ad Com think of you as an individual. In fact, not mentioning lawyering or law school once will make the adcom think you are a great writer, who doesn’t have to straight up say something to make them realize what you are getting at (with the added advantage of everybody reading it knowing exactly what you are getting at without having to say it)

I would use whichever you think shaped you personally more. End with a lesion you learned that makes you a better person (not a better future lawyer). They are trying to admit good people, and teach them how to be lawyers. I would lean towards the Korea one but turn it into a story about you and not a story about them. It is more unique than “I tried something, failed, learned from it, and did better” which is what everybody talks about.

canarykb wrote:Just lovely language in your response, btw.
This sounds like passive aggressive butthurt. OP, don’t come off as passive aggressive/butthurt in your PS.

ohwhereohwhere

New

Post by ohwhereohwhere » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:46 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”