Bible verse... terrible terrible idea? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ryoung81

New

Bible verse... terrible terrible idea?

Post by ryoung81 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:31 pm

So, I'm a 30 year old professional. I went back to school for my bachelors and now I'm applying to law schools while working full-time. In my personal statement I'm contemplating writing about how my beliefs about education have changed since I graduated from high school. More specifically, feeling education was not needed for such a smart person as myself when I was longer, to now witnessing the benefits of education all around me in career.

I was trying to think of a hook, and a bible verse (i believe Corinthians) that goes something like this "when I was a child I talked as a child, thought as a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish things behind me." I thought it would be something I could refer back to throughout my statement to illustrate my change in perception.

I'm not terribly religious, but I find it is a meaningful quote. I am applying to schools in Texas, which is a fairly God fearing state... so I tend to think if I do it well then it would be acceptable, there is no possibility of my using it to sound preachy...

Thoughts?

cholza00

New

Re: Bible verse... terrible terrible idea?

Post by cholza00 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:43 pm

ryoung81 wrote:So, I'm a 30 year old professional. I went back to school for my bachelors and now I'm applying to law schools while working full-time. In my personal statement I'm contemplating writing about how my beliefs about education have changed since I graduated from high school. More specifically, feeling education was not needed for such a smart person as myself when I was longer, to now witnessing the benefits of education all around me in career.

I was trying to think of a hook, and a bible verse (i believe Corinthians) that goes something like this "when I was a child I talked as a child, thought as a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish things behind me." I thought it would be something I could refer back to throughout my statement to illustrate my change in perception.

I'm not terribly religious, but I find it is a meaningful quote. I am applying to schools in Texas, which is a fairly God fearing state... so I tend to think if I do it well then it would be acceptable, there is no possibility of my using it to sound preachy...

Thoughts?

Why would this be a bad idea? You think law schools hate all Christians?

1) it's illegal for them to religiously discriminate
2) My undergrad is in theology from a conservative Christian school.. I got into multiple T14's with money... positive no matter who the adcomm is, your one line of relevant Scripture in a personal statement won't matter at all
3) I hate the media/society for making people like you think it's a big deal to quote Scripture

ryoung81

New

Post by ryoung81 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:47 pm

To clarify:

I wasn't under the impression that law schools hate Christians, that's crazy talk. :)

In this situation I consider quoting scripture the same as quoting Socrates or Plato. It feels like I can use it relevantly. I just wanted to get a few opinions on if it's taboo when used in this manner.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:49 pm

It's the overall substance of your statement that counts. Also I don't think using a single quote from the bible in a personal statement conveys anything in particular about your religiosity.

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Bible verse or not, I'd be very careful when using quotes in your PS, especially at the beginning. It has the danger of coming off as very cliche.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:53 pm

In general, its best to avoid quotes of any kind. Its a tired play. Unoriginal.

This is your opportunity to show off your writing. Hook them with your words, not someone else's.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:42 pm

cholza00 wrote:
ryoung81 wrote:So, I'm a 30 year old professional. I went back to school for my bachelors and now I'm applying to law schools while working full-time. In my personal statement I'm contemplating writing about how my beliefs about education have changed since I graduated from high school. More specifically, feeling education was not needed for such a smart person as myself when I was longer, to now witnessing the benefits of education all around me in career.

Thoughts?

Why would this be a bad idea? You think law schools hate all Christians?

1) it's illegal for them to religiously discriminate
2) My undergrad is in theology from a conservative Christian school.. I got into multiple T14's with money... positive no matter who the adcomm is, your one line of relevant Scripture in a personal statement won't matter at all
3) I hate the media/society for making people like you think it's a big deal to quote Scripture
butthurt

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:59 pm

lol at capitalizing "Scripture"

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:03 pm

RSterling wrote:Bible verse or not, I'd be very careful when using quotes in your PS, especially at the beginning. It has the danger of coming off as very cliche.
This is clearly the correct admonition.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cholza00

New

Post by cholza00 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:45 pm

fatduck wrote:lol at capitalizing "Scripture"
lol at you not knowing standard grammar rules

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scripture

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:52 pm

cholza00 wrote:
fatduck wrote:lol at capitalizing "Scripture"
lol at you not knowing standard grammar rules

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scripture
my lol extends to the publishers of merriam-webster, hth

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:55 pm

RSterling wrote:Bible verse or not, I'd be very careful when using quotes in your PS, especially at the beginning. It has the danger of coming off as very cliche.
Ugh, this.

It's not a particularly "church-y" quote. But it is trite. The message of learning to appreciate education is fine, but your writing should make your point without needing a summary in fortune cookie format.

ryoung81

New

Post by ryoung81 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:37 am

Thanks for the responses. I'll take them in kind and go with the "group think"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”