. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Re: advice?

Post by dingbat » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:19 pm

VasaVasori wrote:I could easily write a statement that's really personal, and I could easily write a statement about why I want to go to law school. But to bring the two together? It seems impossible.

I just don't think I have any experiences that show why I want to go to law school - except for save the world stories, which everyone says to avoid at all costs.

I've written several different personal statements, and I really don't like any of them.

My current favorite one is about this one time when I went snowboarding and this kid was stuck in a dip in the snow, so I got off of my board, and the ground caved in under us as I was trying to lift him up. I ended up in a river and permanently lost feeling in my toe from frost bite. Interesting? Sure. But it doesn't say much about me, and how on earth could I tie that in to why I want to go to law school (except by saying that I want to sue the ski resort, which I don't.)

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

And sorry if this is a bit rantish. I'm just a little bit frustrated about this.
What are your scores and where do you plan on applying?
Unless you have something special in your background, numbers make up 90% of the admissions decision and a PS only serves A) to show you're not crazy and can write, and B) as a tie breaker.

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:10 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CorkBoard

Gold

Re: advice?

Post by CorkBoard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:23 pm

You have a few months to really nail a PS. Take some time to really think about what you want to write (think about events that have shaped you as a person), but don't try and force it. I thought of my topic while I was driving home from work one day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”