How to write PS for those who have research background Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lilshortguh618

New

How to write PS for those who have research background

Post by lilshortguh618 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a first time poster and is quite thrill about this forum.

I recently decided to change my career goals (from seeking PhD in Clinical Psych to specializing in Family and Immigration Law). Before I start asking my questions, let me tell you about my background.

Why all of a sudden career change?

All of my baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate experiences (3 yrs worth) have been in the research area (clinical trials, intimate partner violence and family/couples research, sexual traumas). I conducted an independent research project on sexual aggression (rape and coercion) in newlywed couples and the findings I found was very appalling. Sexual aggression is highly prevalent in normal, reported-happy couples in the early years of marriage (similar rates to what other previous studies) and the consequences of the aftermath is worst than stranger rape. I also found that although fifty states criminalize spousal rape, it is still considered a lesser crime than stranger rape. Hence, the existence of marital rape exemption in some states. Knowing this last bit of info is what really makes me want to pursue a career in law.

Experience:
I do not have any experiences in the legal system or partake in any school organizations. Although, I did mentored and taught English to new immigration students during my first 2 yrs of college. I had been out of school for a year now and is currently conducting research at the VA. I graduated with an overall GPA 3.22 and last two-yrs GPA of 3.59. I really screwed up on my first 2 yrs of college GPA and I can go on and on about why. Short story: I had kids and worked during school time. I pulled my gpa from below a 2.0 to above a 3.0 in 2 yrs.

Now my questions:

1. Is it common for applicants to have a research background?
2. Will my research background weaken my application b/c it looks like I'm more of an applicant for PhD programs instead?
3. Any suggestions on how I should approach my PS?
4. Do you think I have a shot in applying?

That's all for right now. Thank you for stopping by and reading my post! Have a great day!

tacites

New

Re: How to write PS for those who have research background

Post by tacites » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm

I also have a research background but my work was in biochemistry. My adviser said it shouldn't hurt my chances, especially if I got a good LOR from the professor I was working with. But then, my adviser did not go to law school, and I always take her advice with a grain of salt. Anyone else?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”