Extra Essays ~ Do they change each cycle? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

New

Extra Essays ~ Do they change each cycle?

Post by 727813 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:50 am

Do the additional essays generally maintain the same subjects throughout the years?

For example: Georgetown, UPenn, Duke, George Washington, etc.

These schools (and others) list 2-5 additional subjects that applicants can write on.Do these change from cycle to cycle? I don't want to start writing mine now and come August I discover new questions/subjects.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Re: Extra Essays ~ Do they change each cycle?

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed May 16, 2012 11:36 pm

I don't have any hard data on how frequently they "refresh" their essay prompts, but I applied in two separate cycles and about half of my questions were different.

However, they weren't that different. For your PS, regardless of what you end up writing about I'm fairly confident that it will fit the molds of most schools. As for their optional essays, some things you can kind of anticipate. For example, essays for public interest scholarships are always going to want to know more about your community service work. Similarly, any essay you can write about overcoming a disadvantage or about the particular value (i.e. why your unique diversity will benefit the law school) that you would bring to the school are probably always going to be beneficial. Even if you have to tweak them a tad, for the most part they will still work for most optional essays.

With that said, if I was you and wanted to get a head start on writing some essays before the fall, I would definitely craft a solid personal statement as well as a statement of diversity. They will both be extremely useful to you in your upcoming cycle.

Good luck!

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 pm

if we have zero diversity to speak of, we don't have to submit one of those...right? i'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but don't want to be scrambling at the last minute. Already crafting my PS now.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu May 17, 2012 9:21 am

calidancer2 wrote:if we have zero diversity to speak of, we don't have to submit one of those...right? i'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but don't want to be scrambling at the last minute. Already crafting my PS now.
I don't know what schools you're planning on applying to, but I know Northwestern's dean highly encouraged their applicants to submit some type of diversity statement.

Remember, diversity statements aren't limited to racial/ethnic diversity. If you come from a lower socio-economic class, you are diverse. If you've had a unique upbringing, you are diverse. If you've had unique experiences, you are diverse. There really shouldn't be any reason that you can't write a diversity statement. You may just have to think about it a little.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu May 17, 2012 9:28 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:if we have zero diversity to speak of, we don't have to submit one of those...right? i'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but don't want to be scrambling at the last minute. Already crafting my PS now.
I don't know what schools you're planning on applying to, but I know Northwestern's dean highly encouraged their applicants to submit some type of diversity statement.

Remember, diversity statements aren't limited to racial/ethnic diversity. If you come from a lower socio-economic class, you are diverse. If you've had a unique upbringing, you are diverse. If you've had unique experiences, you are diverse. There really shouldn't be any reason that you can't write a diversity statement. You may just have to think about it a little.
Johann also said not to to throw some BS together just to say you did the essay. Don't try to stretch something. If it's not on the same level of quality as the rest of your app, don't submit it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Samara wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:

Johann also said not to to throw some BS together just to say you did the essay. Don't try to stretch something. If it's not on the same level of quality as the rest of your app, don't submit it.

yeah, this. i'm a white female, upper-middle class. my diversity is pretty much nil, save for an extremely unique former job and the fact i went to school on the other side of the country from where i grew up. i'll be doing americorps this fall, but i'm trying to write my essays before so won't be able to write about that. i don't want to come off as spoiled rich kid, especially since it seems like my diversity statement will be laughable compared to others with real diversity...

New

Post by 727813 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:37 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:I don't have any hard data on how frequently they "refresh" their essay prompts, but I applied in two separate cycles and about half of my questions were different.

However, they weren't that different. For your PS, regardless of what you end up writing about I'm fairly confident that it will fit the molds of most schools. As for their optional essays, some things you can kind of anticipate. For example, essays for public interest scholarships are always going to want to know more about your community service work. Similarly, any essay you can write about overcoming a disadvantage or about the particular value (i.e. why your unique diversity will benefit the law school) that you would bring to the school are probably always going to be beneficial. Even if you have to tweak them a tad, for the most part they will still work for most optional essays.

With that said, if I was you and wanted to get a head start on writing some essays before the fall, I would definitely craft a solid personal statement as well as a statement of diversity. They will both be extremely useful to you in your upcoming cycle.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”