Do I need a GPA addendum? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
PishPosh

New

Do I need a GPA addendum?

Post by PishPosh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Shield you eyes..my GPA is a 2.9. I went to art school, wasn't too mature, only did well in classes that I liked--all this was 10 years ago however. I'm now 30 and applying to night programs (Suffolk and New England) I plan to stay where I am and keep working f-t.

My LSAT is 157, which is in the higher end/median of where I am applying. I graduated college back in 2003. I have been working in the legal field for the last 4 years and have strong recommendation letters. (none from school--only from attorneys in the field)

Do you think a GPA addendum would be a good idea for my applications..or do you think it would just bring more attention to it?

Please don't tell me not to waste my money or bother applying. I'm not retaking the LSAT either. Thanks in advance.

PARTY

Bronze

Re: Do I need a GPA addendum?

Post by PARTY » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Well, TBF, you should retake. It might lessen the sting of that GPA. Also, you could be looking at better prospects school-wise.

But, I digress.

Regarding the addendum, you should only write it if you can spin your bad grades by having some good/tear-jerking/not shitty reason(s). To say that you "only did well in classes that you liked" doesn't really impart your potential to succeed as a lawyer (at least how you want it to...).

But if you can swing a good addendum, write one. Don't worry about calling attention to your GPA. They're going to notice it. USNews rankings counts the school's GPA median significantly, so they'll be looking.

ix88

New

Re: Do I need a GPA addendum?

Post by ix88 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:06 am

Yes, a good addendum would be useful. ie: you are more mature now

The problem is writing it so that it's different (in a good way) from the last 100 addendums in the pile.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”