I got criminal record... this gonna cut it for C&F addendum Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
richalvarez

New

I got criminal record... this gonna cut it for C&F addendum

Post by richalvarez » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:29 pm

On February 21st, 2008, I was arrested for driving under the influence in Chula Vista, California. At the superior court of California, county of San Diego, I was charged with possession of a controlled substance and driving and driving under the influence. As to the possession of a controlled substance, I was given a deferred entry of judgment and completed a PC1000 program and the charge was dismissed. I was convicted of driving under the influence and completed a 3-month first conviction program, paid $2,012.00 in fines, and was placed on five years summary probation.

On February 2nd, 2010, I was arrested for driving under the influence in San Diego, California. At the superior court of California, county of San Diego, I was charged with and convicted of driving under the influence. I was sentenced to an 18-month multiple conviction program, ordered to pay $2,639.00 in fines, four days sheriffs work release, and 4 days public work service.

I recognize the pattern my actions have exhibited. I was in denial about my issues, even after my first arrest. However, I have come to terms with these issues and have taken the appropriate measures to ensure I will have no further issues. I can confidently say this will have no bearing on my ability to successfully complete law school and practice as an attorney. Further, I have contacted the State Bar of California regarding my transgressions and have been informed that, in and of itself, these incidents will not preclude me from admission to the bar.

Mce252

Silver

Re: I got criminal record... this gonna cut it for C&F addendum

Post by Mce252 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:10 pm

richalvarez wrote:On February 21st, 2008, I was arrested for driving under the influence in Chula Vista, California. At the superior court of California, county of San Diego, I was charged with possession of a controlled substance and driving and driving under the influence. As to the possession of a controlled substance, I was given a deferred entry of judgment and completed a PC1000 program and the charge was dismissed. I was convicted of driving under the influence and completed a 3-month first conviction program, paid $2,012.00 in fines, and was placed on five years summary probation.

On February 2nd, 2010, I was arrested for driving under the influence in San Diego, California. At the superior court of California, county of San Diego, I was charged with and convicted of driving under the influence. I was sentenced to an 18-month multiple conviction program, ordered to pay $2,639.00 in fines, four days sheriffs work release, and 4 days public work service.

I recognize the pattern my actions have exhibited. I was in denial about my issues, even after my first arrest. However, I have come to terms with these issues and have taken the appropriate measures to ensure I will have no further issues. I can confidently say this will have no bearing on my ability to successfully complete law school and practice as an attorney. Further, I have contacted the State Bar of California regarding my transgressions and have been informed that, in and of itself, these incidents will not preclude me from admission to the bar.
This is not good. You need to be much more specific about your overall well-being since your last incident two years ago. That isn't a lot of time with a history of repreat offenses. Also, you need to do more than say that the Bar has told you that yo uwon't have a problem. It would be helpful to cite the relevant provisions of the review process and give an analysis explaining why you will be admitted to the bar.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:13 pm

richalvarez wrote:On February 21st, 2008, I was arrested for driving under the influence in Chula Vista, California. At the superior court of California, county of San Diego, I was charged with possession of a controlled substance and driving and driving under the influence. As to the possession of a controlled substance, I was given a deferred entry of judgment and completed a PC1000 program and the charge was dismissed. I was convicted of driving under the influence and completed a 3-month first conviction program, paid $2,012.00 in fines, and was placed on five years summary probation.

3.3/159 and two DUI's? No offense but I probably wouldn't go to law school.

Liquox

Bronze

Post by Liquox » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:47 am

Jaeger wrote:

you probably wouldn't, but he wants to.

op: simplify the first two paragraphs. (on [date] i was charged with [crime], which resulted in [fine]. then on [date], i... you get the idea) emphasize what you've learned and how you won't repeat those incidents

jcm043

New

Post by jcm043 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Jaeger wrote:

Don't listen to this dickwade. He has lived in his parents basement watching Law & Order since the again of ten dreaming to be Jack McCoy. Sadly, he has zero real life communication skills, but will be great doing research in the firm library!

Be more specific in your statement, focus on how you have cleaned up your life and how it has made a positive impact on your life. I would also recommend, if you have the option, go sitdown with with a schools VP of admissions that will deal with this C&F. Get their opinion. This should not and will not hold you back. It will only hold you back if you let it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Law School Math 101

2.9+159=retake

richalvarez

New

Post by richalvarez » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 pm

john1990 wrote:Law School Math 101

2.9+159=retake
Your probably right, but I applied to USD already. Hoping my work experience will help me out, I have owned and operated an accounting firm since 2008. I am scheduled to retake in October if things don't go well this cycle. I do not wish to try and get into the best school possible and graduate with insurmountable debt, to kill myself working massive hours at a law firm and never see my son. I just want a solid, inexpensive education from a school here in San Diego and go into solo practice. I have a small network of attorneys and accountants I work with, and I feel I could expand my business successfully.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”