Diversity statement needing review asap Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
LS20122012

New

Diversity statement needing review asap

Post by LS20122012 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm as lost as ever as to what a diversity statement should entile. Please provie constructive feedback! I tried to include socio-economic trials and my faith as the factors that will add to school diversity.
... ok here it is
My mom introduced me to God at a young age. We read the bible together and helped volunteer at local food banks, which is ironically where we got most of our groceries . Despite a religious upbringing, I was hardly ever able to attend church on Sundays because my mom had to work two additional jobs on the weekend just to support me. At the time, my father was an alcoholic and she was too afraid to leave me with him. Unfortunately, the man she tried to protect me from was not the one who would go on to abuse me.

My aunt surprisingly got arrested one evening so my mother naturally took in her daughter and her teenage foster son. That same night my mother had to cover an overnight shift but told us all to go to sleep until she returned. In the seven hours my mom was gone, my life had changed forever. My aunt’s foster son molested me and warned me not to tell. At the age of five, I knew it was wrong but I didn’t know why. And I didn’t tell. For years I had to endure the pain of seeing him at every family function, until he went to jail for molesting someone else. Though he only touched me that one time, it shaped who I was for years to come. I felt less connected with God; after all, He let this happen to me at such a young age. I found comfort in food. By 13-years -old, I weighed 200 pounds. My self-esteem depleted and I cared less about my looks. The friends I made were of the “alternative” crowd, and I somehow convinced myself into adopting their belief of Atheism. In High School, I knew no one would like me for being me so I decided to force them to like me for being smart. I immersed myself in books, science clubs and the debate team. My peers loved me. They loved copying my homework in study hall. Despite my horrible self-image, I exceled in high school and won numerous scholarships and prizes. By the time I was 18, I had gained a High School diploma, acceptance to a top college and 50 additional pounds.
It wasn’t until I began college that I started to value myself again and rekindle my faith. I met new friends and began to attend campus ministry meetings. I had friends that cared about the real me for the first time. I was finally comfortable in my own skin. One night, my friends and I stayed up late talking about silly things. In that short break from our giggles, I told them I had been molested as a child. My 15-year-old secret was out. Fortunately, my friends did nothing but hug me and support me. With their love and support and my increased self-confidence, I lost 65 pounds that year. I also began working at a local homeless shelter specifically for teens who had been molested or forced into prostitution. For the first time in years, I talked to God, asked him for forgiveness and the power to forgive my abuser. Our relationship has been great ever since. To this day my mom does not know of the molestation because I am concerned as to how it would affect her, but I am forever grateful for the hard work she put in to raising me and how she always tried to protect me through God.
The obstacles that I’ve overcome and the faith that I hold so dear, speak volumes for how they will impact my career as a lawyer because they both helped build my character. There is a reason why lawyers are held to such high character standards, and that reason is largely because they are by definition a ‘people’s representative’ before the law. As lawyers, we must empathize with the trials and tribulations our clients have endure and gain their trust. The only way to make that happen is to be the utmost genuine and moral in character. As an attorney in the public interest, that will be at the core of everything I do. I want to be a voice for those who have had similar experiences so they are not left silent like I was for years. The resources that are given to me from my legal education can further my career in public service. I have had a traumatic experience, I have learned to cope with it, be open about it and adapted from it to a point where I can now help someone else in need.
Last edited by LS20122012 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Gold

Re: Diversity statement needing review asap

Post by sparty99 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:37 pm

The topic is contreversioal (spelling) and the statement is not very strong. It seems like you are telling this story just to tell the story.

I could only see this statement working if you applied to a heavily christian school. However, this is not what I would write about in a diversity statement.

LS20122012

New

Re: Diversity statement needing review asap

Post by LS20122012 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I added some to it. Oh forgot to mention, I'm pursing the concurrent degree in divinity at Harvard :) (M.Div)

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”