Spirituality in PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
6lehderjets

Bronze

Spirituality in PS

Post by 6lehderjets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Thoughts on incorporating some religious undertones in your PS? I'm assuming that it is acceptable for schools with religious affiliations but what about state-schools?

I'm not planning on including bible verses or anything along those lines. Mostly I would discuss in a general way how my faith and beliefs have impacted me.

And before someone beats me to the punch.....

Platinum

Re: Spirituality in PS

Post by 071816 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:55 pm

I would say focus on cohesive and quality writing. If adding religious spice enhances your personal narrative without subtracting from those key points, then I would say go for it. Personally, I find most religious references trite and flippant. However, if you can do it in a sincere and thoughtful way, then I do not think you will be dinged for it.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Davidbentley wrote:...do it in a sincere and thoughtful way...
This is really the key. If your beliefs are relevant to your topic and they are presented as undertones and not as convictions, then it can be effective. Focus on the overall narrative and on being genuine.

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:27 pm

6lehderjets wrote:Thoughts on incorporating some religious undertones in your PS? I'm assuming that it is acceptable for schools with religious affiliations but what about state-schools?

I'm not planning on including bible verses or anything along those lines. Mostly I would discuss in a general way how my faith and beliefs have impacted me.

And before someone beats me to the punch.....

I think you can drop God's name as long as he wrote you a letter too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:30 pm

In persuasive writing, you don't want to include something that might make a reader uncomfortable. Unless it's central to your story (e.g., a middle-class kid's two-year trip to Malawi wouldn't make much sense unless you know it's a Mormon mission), I'd leave it out.

dolphin

New

Post by dolphin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:49 pm

soooo tempted to make a politically incorrect comment that would be highly appropriate at this precise moment in time...but i'll hold back.

good luck with your ps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”