Why SMU- any feedback? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
yankeedoodle

New

Why SMU- any feedback?

Post by yankeedoodle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:07 pm

SMU Dedman is my first choice by far. I am getting married this summer, and my intended was born and raised in Dallas. We both love the area, and visit at least one weekend every month (we both currently attend university in Oklahoma). His entire family lives in the metroplex, as do most of our close friends, and we would love to live close to them. I plan to settle and practice in Dallas, and because of this, believe SMU to be the best choice for me.

GirlStop

Bronze

Re: Why SMU- any feedback?

Post by GirlStop » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:49 am

Seems SMU is a better choice for your hubby and friends than it is for you.. You don't really write specifically about what SMU has to offer that attracted you.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:47 pm

No no no please don't submit this. It has nothing to do with the law school what-so-ever. It appears that if any other school were to replace it in that area, you would go. You like the city, not the school.

Research information about the programs, clinics, clubs, student body, etc. I'm sure there has to be something about the law school that you like besides the location. You can add, as a side note, that the location is perfect for you and your family, but please add more information about the school.

postn0bills

Bronze

Post by postn0bills » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:50 pm

cutecarmel wrote:No no no please don't submit this. It has nothing to do with the law school what-so-ever. It appears that if any other school were to replace it in that area, you would go. You like the city, not the school.

Research information about the programs, clinics, clubs, student body, etc. I'm sure there has to be something about the law school that you like besides the location. You can add, as a side note, that the location is perfect for you and your family, but please add more information about the school.
+1. You need to talk about why SMU is the right fit -- not the city.

gfj90

New

Post by gfj90 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:51 pm

I am looking for some feedback on my Why SMU statement too.

The first factor I considered in choosing where to apply to law school was location. Knowing I will likely practice in the same region that I attend law school, I am drawn to the Dallas area and SMU. In addition to being one of the nation’s largest legal markets, Dallas is also a great place to live. What began as an appeal to the location has developed into an interest in the Dedman School of Law. The more I learn about SMU Dedman School of Law, the more impressed I am. As someone interested in business law, I am especially attracted to the Small Business Clinic. If accepted, I am eager to participate in this program. Although there are many reasons why I want to attend SMU Dedman School of Law, the quality of the education is what confirms my decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Nah, I totally disagree with everyone. This wouldn't work for Michigan or UVA, but for a Texas school that really just wants to know if you're going to bail on them for UT it's fine. Texas schools like family connections, commitment to the location, etc. I would just add a sentence or two about things you like specifically about smu.

Ah, you just brought this thread back, I see. Haha. Think yours is great. Nice mix of location and school.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Bringing this thread back to life..

I haven't started this yet but what are some good things to mention in this essay. What are some things that are unique to SMU that are worth mentioning. What programs, if any, is SMU known for? Most of my essay will center on Dallas because I'm originally from there, want to practice there and my entire family lives there which will be important for me because I'll need help with my kids since I will be going to law school and my wife will hopefully be going to SMU for her PhD as well.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Well if you love Dallas and SMU places well there (I assume it does) that's not an unreasonable thing to say. Likewise the alumni network in the city. Then maybe you could throw in something about the culture of the school. Go mustangs. /essay

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Most of my "Why SMU" centered around the fact that I am an engineering student and they have some great patent law opportunities, stuff like they have different summits and stuff. Really, you can just go through their admissions packet and pick and choose what you want to highlight

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:19 pm

bgoodrick wrote:Most of my "Why SMU" centered around the fact that I am an engineering student and they have some great patent law opportunities, stuff like they have different summits and stuff. Really, you can just go through their admissions packet and pick and choose what you want to highlight
I've done that but I still just wasn't sure which of those things were unique to SMU. I know other schools have summits and seminars but does SMU have more or different types? I also plan on hitting on the Journal of Air Law and Commerce because I have a pilots license and I'd like to get on that review (or anyother one really). I'm also interested in the moot court and I like the fact that community service is required but those things are pretty common across the board.

My personal statement also touches on the Constitution and that I'm really interested in it and I want to take all the Constitutional classes offered there. These things are true but I thought it'd be good to say it because I know the dean is a Constitutional guru. Should I bring that up again in the why smu essay?

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:58 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
bgoodrick wrote:Most of my "Why SMU" centered around the fact that I am an engineering student and they have some great patent law opportunities, stuff like they have different summits and stuff. Really, you can just go through their admissions packet and pick and choose what you want to highlight
I've done that but I still just wasn't sure which of those things were unique to SMU. I know other schools have summits and seminars but does SMU have more or different types? I also plan on hitting on the Journal of Air Law and Commerce because I have a pilots license and I'd like to get on that review (or anyother one really). I'm also interested in the moot court and I like the fact that community service is required but those things are pretty common across the board.

My personal statement also touches on the Constitution and that I'm really interested in it and I want to take all the Constitutional classes offered there. These things are true but I thought it'd be good to say it because I know the dean is a Constitutional guru. Should I bring that up again in the why smu essay?
sure, why not? if it's big enough for them to highlight in their admissions packet, you'd think that it is either something that not every other school has or better than that at other schools, otherwise it wouldn't be worth highlighting. They have multiple things that apply to science/patent, so those are the ones I made sure to hit on. If its something that you've already talked about in your personal statement, maybe just touch on it, but don't make the same thing the major part of both essays

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:28 pm

bgoodrick wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:

sure, why not? if it's big enough for them to highlight in their admissions packet, you'd think that it is either something that not every other school has or better than that at other schools, otherwise it wouldn't be worth highlighting. They have multiple things that apply to science/patent, so those are the ones I made sure to hit on. If its something that you've already talked about in your personal statement, maybe just touch on it, but don't make the same thing the major part of both essays
Cool beans. Thanks for your input. Ill post it in once I've done it to get some more input.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Thoughts?

This is an easy question to answer because I have so many reasons to attend SMU. I was originally born in Dallas but I’ve spent the past eight years away due to my military service and it has always been the plan to move back to Dallas after leaving the military. Dallas is home; not just for me but also for almost my entire extended family which will be extremely important for me and my wife and kids while I attend law school because my wife will also be attending school to earn a PhD at the same time. Close proximity to my family is extremely important to me because I will have a built in support system for my children while my wife and I attend school.
SMU has an unbeatable reputation within the DFW area and I fully intend on staying in the Dallas area after graduation. However, it’s not just SMU’s reputation that has attracted me to the school. I also look forward to participating in the wide verity of programs that are offered here such as the many law clinics, symposiums and the moot court. As a private pilot myself, I hope to join the Journal of Air Law and Commerce.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jgconte

New

Post by jgconte » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:58 pm

^ I think thats pretty good because of its honesty. I read in an interview with Dean Zearfoss from UMich that saying you want to go to a law school because of its location is a valid reason if it is intelligent (not just I want to go to NYU because the chicks in NY are hot!). You saying that you have been away for 8 years from home because of service to this nation, and that you want to return to your home state and study law is a compelling reason IMHO.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:08 am

Thanks!

jgconte

New

Post by jgconte » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:18 am

Of course, be sure to add in that SMU is THE BEST match for your academic interests and capabilities, and that, based on your research/ talking to veterans at the school, you find it to be the school most supportive of veterans that you are interested in.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:25 am

There sure seem to be a lot of military/veterans interested in SMU - I'm hoping they open up some more Yellow Ribbon slots before I apply next year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 am

I made some changes if anyone wants to read it over for me..

I was originally born in Dallas but I have spent the past eight years away while serving in the Army. It has always been my plan to move back to Dallas after leaving the military. Dallas is home, not just for me but also for almost my entire extended family which will be extremely important for me and my wife and kids while I attend law school because my wife will also be attending school to earn a PhD. SMU has an unbeatable reputation and an impressive list of graduates that I would love to join. I appreciate the wide variety of law journals available at SMU. As a licensed pilot, I am especially interested in the Journal of Air Law and Commerce. I am also drawn by the many opportunities to participate in moot courts, seminars, and symposiums. As a future lawyer in Dallas, I know that Dallas law firms put a high value on a J.D. from SMU. After touring the school and speaking to multiple current students of the law school I am confident this will be a perfect fit for me. If accepted, I fully intend on attending SMU.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:29 am

ScottRiqui wrote:There sure seem to be a lot of military/veterans interested in SMU - I'm hoping they open up some more Yellow Ribbon slots before I apply next year.
I've been looking at the amount of scholly money most people get and I think even if there aren't any YR spots open it will be alright. It seems like at the very least you can expect about $20K. That combined with the GI Bill will cover your first year at which point I'm sure a YR spot will open up before 2L. Either way, with whatever scholly money you get plus the GI Bill you'll be way ahead of everyone else at graduation. I'm so grateful that I will have those benefits! I'll be graduating law school with a fraction (if any?) of the debt of everyone else!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”