Brothers at the same law school? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
rec345

New

Brothers at the same law school?

Post by rec345 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:35 pm

Both of my brothers are current J.D. students at my dream law school. It's top 5, and with my splitter stats (3.4 GPA and 173 LSAT) I need any boost I can get. The question is whether it looks bad to plug them on my personal statement, if I should just mention it were it asks in the app and leave it at that. If I mention it in the ps it wouldn't be blatant. Something along the lines of "I look forward to joining both my brothers at X Law next year and..."

One brother thinks I should do it. The other thinks it looks like I'm to play off their accomplishments in a nepotistic way. Any one have a similar situation, or any thoughts in general? All help much appreciated, thanks.

kaiser

Gold

Re: Brothers at the same law school?

Post by kaiser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:41 pm

Unless your PS has something to do with your brother, there is no point in adding a silly one-off reference. You will specifically have it on your app that you have family attending the school. Remember that the only reason they care about such things is because, the more family that attends, the more donation $$ they would expect into the future. They will see it on your app. No need to put a clearly contrived line into your PS.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:51 pm

rec345 wrote: The other thinks it looks like I'm to play off their accomplishments in a nepotistic way. Any one have a similar situation, or any thoughts in general? All help much appreciated, thanks.
I agree with this brother. Unless your brothers are tied into what you already planned for your PS, you shouldn't mention this. Some schools ask you to provide names a relatives that go that institution, and you can mention them there. But your statement is about you, not your brothers and talking about them says nothing about the qualities that you possess or what makes you qualified for the school

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:41 pm

kaiser wrote:Unless your PS has something to do with your brother, there is no point in adding a silly one-off reference.... They will see it on your app. No need to put a clearly contrived line into your PS.
Including it could either have no effect on how your statement is perceived, or a disastrous. You're better of not including it at all, considering these risks. It will be on your app anyhow so, should that information be relevant and helpful, they will see it.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:05 pm

D. none of the above.

You should go visit your brothers, meet the people, figure out what makes the school tick, and respond with a better application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”