[C&F Addendum] Shoplifting/Assault Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cmd06

New

[C&F Addendum] Shoplifting/Assault

Post by cmd06 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:14 pm

Can anyone give me advice on my criminal history addendum? Below is an account of what happened. I want to keep it short, factual, and mature.

3+ years ago, I almost walked out of a clothing store wearing cuff links I hadn't paid for. I had been trying them on and forgot to remove after the register (though I'd purchased a suit). The manager confronted me, and I quickly returned them with a sincere apology. Unfortunately, he was very hostile and accused me of having more stuff. I denied it and I emptied my pockets as proof.

I was in a hurry to get to a formal banquet and I didn't care for his overtly racist remarks so I left the store after 5 minutes when I clearly showed him I had nothing on me. As I was driving out of the parking lot, his (son?) banged my car window and continued with the racist insults and accusations. I lowered my window, told him I stole nothing, and that I was leaving. I drove off.

Weeks later, I'm charged with two misdemeanors: theft over $50 and assault w/bodily injury. The son claimed my car smacked his shoulder as I was driving away (BS :x ). Due to my ethnicity and the history of the county, my lawyer told me to plead guilty to the assault charge since a jury trial would've been too costly and far away from home. The theft charge was dismissed, and I did 3 months of probation/community service for the assault under deferred adjudication.

The character and fitness questions for all my schools ask the following:

Have you ever been arrested, cited, ticketed, or charged with any violation of law excluding minor traffic violations?
Have you ever been convicted of an offense, placed on probation, or granted deferred adjudication?

Is this too much information? How do I sound contrite for something I wasn't guilty of? Or, to keep it non-controversial and simple, should I just confess that I did steal, that I accidentally bump the son, that I'm sorry, never going to happen again, etc.?

EDIT: Do law schools or state bars have access to the actual police file or just the general court document with docket numbers, pleas, and so on?

Gold

Re: [C&F Addendum] Shoplifting/Assault

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:46 pm

The state bar has access to everything. The law school doesn't but failing to disclose it will be found by the bar and could prevent you passing C&F.

A few notes:
- I'm not sure if this is the actual addendum you plan to submit...if it is...it's not very well written.
- After reading it, I'm not sure I believe you. Not saying you did it, but it comes off to me like you're making excuses and not telling the whole story.
- I wouldn't blame it on the lawyer. You pled guilty. I'd say what happened, you pled guilty, served your sentence, and learned from it. Maybe tell the cuff link part (I could see myself doing that), then explain what happened when you left (bumped him), and that the theft charge was dismissed and you pled guilty.

in2win

Bronze

Post by in2win » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:09 am

e
Last edited by in2win on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmd06

New

Post by cmd06 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:10 pm

blowhard wrote:The state bar has access to everything. The law school doesn't but failing to disclose it will be found by the bar and could prevent you passing C&F.

A few notes:
- I'm not sure if this is the actual addendum you plan to submit...if it is...it's not very well written.
- After reading it, I'm not sure I believe you. Not saying you did it, but it comes off to me like you're making excuses and not telling the whole story.
- I wouldn't blame it on the lawyer. You pled guilty. I'd say what happened, you pled guilty, served your sentence, and learned from it. Maybe tell the cuff link part (I could see myself doing that), then explain what happened when you left (bumped him), and that the theft charge was dismissed and you pled guilty.
-Haha it's definitely not the actual addendum. It's a rough summary of what happened. Feedback from this forum will help create the actual statement.
-Uh oh. If you're skeptical, an adcomm probably will too. I'll definitely change it so I don't seem to be making excuses/telling the whole story.
-You're right. A guilty plea is just that. Can't blame others.
in2win wrote: -i dont think you want to make excuses for your crimes as if you didnt do it because if you pled guilty then that is not going to look good to law schools and the state bar.
-i think its way more important to show that it was just a stupid mistake and you were extremely remorseful for having done it, and that you have put it behind you.
-also, you want to say that this event was completely out of character.
-i think you should just say exactly what happened, like i walked out of the store with cufflinks on, i was confronted, i denied it to the manager (maybe or maybe not include this), two weeks later i was charged, pled guilty, payed my dues, learned my lesson and it was out of character, i have moved on.....
Great tips. Thank you. I'll keep it short and sweet like your last point.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:33 pm

I got caught shoplifting some cufflinks by a store employee who chased me out into the parking lot screaming racial epithets. As I drove by him he was swinging his arms and screaming and apparently his arm hit my mirror or windshield. I was charged and pleaded guilty to assault. I have not run over anyone since.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”