Is it better to have a strong legal goal, or be general? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
azbycxdd

New

Is it better to have a strong legal goal, or be general?

Post by azbycxdd » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi guys,

For the PS does it help or hurt to specifically state your legal desires?

For example:

I really want to practice (very specific part of law) because blah blah blah.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I don't want schools to think I'm not open minded, but I really do have a very narrow minded career choice in mind and want to express that.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Re: Is it better to have a strong legal goal, or be general?

Post by FryBreadPower » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:52 pm

As long as you have substantial reasons to show why you want to practice a specialized study of law, it may help. It would certainly help if you could tie that desire to a particularly strong program that the school offers.

If you can't offer substantial reasons, then don't do it. It may seem forced and inauthentic.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:53 pm

For your personal statement, it really doesn't matter. Having said that, it is always better to be decisive/have a goal and not some generalized "imma help people, reform the judicial system and save the world" theme in a PS.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:03 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:For your personal statement, it really doesn't matter. Having said that, it is always better to be decisive/have a goal and not some generalized "imma help people, reform the judicial system and save the world" theme in a PS.
I agree with this other than to caveat you need not express why you want LS at all.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:20 pm

blowhard wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:For your personal statement, it really doesn't matter. Having said that, it is always better to be decisive/have a goal and not some generalized "imma help people, reform the judicial system and save the world" theme in a PS.
I agree with this other than to caveat you need not express why you want LS at all.
True. But many of my apps last year had a specific requirement to tailor the PS to your desire to pursue a legal education. A general PS would not suffice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”