this? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dreamflower

New

this?

Post by dreamflower » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:51 am

n
Last edited by dreamflower on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msblaw89

Gold

Re: GPA Addendum for this?

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:01 pm

If the lower GPA was your freshman year I would say you don't need an addendum... since it is your sophomore year you might want to give an explanation. It is only for one year, so it is really up to you...but I don't see how writing an addendum could hurt you.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:02 pm

One more thing... is there anything else that happened around that time other than part time work? I know that several TLSers have had to work many more hours and their GPA did not suffer as a result. So, admission might want a better explanation than just work.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:53 pm

msblaw89 wrote:One more thing... is there anything else that happened around that time other than part time work? I know that several TLSers have had to work many more hours and their GPA did not suffer as a result. So, admission might want a better explanation than just work.
Working 15/20 hours can have an effect on GPA, especially if the student is heavily involved in E/Cs or is a TA or something. OP, I remember you mentioning on another thread that you were involved in sorority/philanthropic work-- you should mention this if they are also a factor in your low grades as well.

dreamflower

New

Post by dreamflower » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Advice?
Last edited by dreamflower on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspiringAcademic

Bronze

Post by AspiringAcademic » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:04 pm

dreamflower wrote:
I had a lot of E/C and philanthropy work that definitely contributed to it all. In addition, my parents went through a divorce (the main reason I had to start supporting myself). Would it be beneficial to address the emotional impact of this that was happening at the same time. I was going home every weekend to be with younger siblings.

Advice?
Yeah, toss all that into a GPA addendum. I would still keep it short, the emotional baggage is heavily implied by the bare facts and I don't think it needs to be overly emphasized, but the combination of divorce stress, helping care for young sibs, and needing to work a substantial part time job may buy you some mitigation. Don't hang your hat solely on the job, though. Lots of people work during college, it's the combination of that with other factors that really helps your story.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”