GPA addendum advice Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
smhaaty

New

GPA addendum advice

Post by smhaaty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi, this is my first posting on the boards so sorry for any forum faux pas.

Here's my situation. I was in a teaching credential/masters in education program. The program is one where I would work full-time as a teacher while I was getting my masters/credential. I decided not to get my credential but finish up my graduate work (because I decided that I didn't want to be a classroom teacher). My decision not to get my credential resulted in me failing one of my graduate classes, however, I still did well in all my other coursework and received my masters.

My overall graduate GPA is around a 3.4 and without the class I failed it would have been about 3.6. My undergraduate GPA is 2.8 and I have a 170 on LSATs. Should I write a GPA addendum explaining why I failed that one course? I have already mentioned in my PS how I chose not to continue with my credential.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Re: GPA addendum advice

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:37 pm

I wouldn't. The forum will typically tell you that a GPA addendum for one class isn't a great idea; ESPECIALLY when that one class isn't even factored into your LSAC GPA.

smhaaty

New

Post by smhaaty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:43 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:I wouldn't. The forum will typically tell you that a GPA addendum for one class isn't a great idea; ESPECIALLY when that one class isn't even factored into your LSAC GPA.
Thanks for the advice. Do law schools primarily just see graduate school GPA? Do they typically look through the transcript?

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 pm

smhaaty wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:I wouldn't. The forum will typically tell you that a GPA addendum for one class isn't a great idea; ESPECIALLY when that one class isn't even factored into your LSAC GPA.
Thanks for the advice. Do law schools primarily just see graduate school GPA? Do they typically look through the transcript?
Common knowledge is that they briefly consider your graduate GPA (and I mean super briefly), but that LSAC GPA is really the only one that counts.

smhaaty

New

Post by smhaaty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:50 pm

FryBreadPower wrote: Common knowledge is that they briefly consider your graduate GPA (and I mean super briefly), but that LSAC GPA is really the only one that counts.
Okay good to know. Seems like there's a good chance they wouldn't even notice the failed class... and my addendum would just point it out :p

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”