Really hard time picking a topic, please help Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lawschool89

New

Really hard time picking a topic, please help

Post by lawschool89 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:02 am

Last edited by lawschool89 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool89

New

Re: Really hard time picking a topic, please help

Post by lawschool89 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:17 pm

bump

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Better diversity statement, but could work if it's written well enough. That's really what they're looking for.

If you want to write up a rough draft, I can look at it for you. Tough to make a black and white decision without knowing more.

lawschool89

New

Post by lawschool89 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Better diversity statement, but could work if it's written well enough. That's really what they're looking for.

If you want to write up a rough draft, I can look at it for you. Tough to make a black and white decision without knowing more.
Yeah I was actually planning on using this more as a DS topic, but considering i'm really stuck on the PS i'm thinking I might just have to tailor it and use it as my PS topic instead. Thank you SO much for your help and your offer. It might take me a while to write up a rough draft, but if I do decide to use this topic I may shoot you a PM to ask for your insight. Once again thanks, that's really awesome of you

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:28 pm

lawschool89 wrote:My question is, how much does your PS specifically have to address why you want to go into law? The samples I've read all seem to be different in this respect, and I was hoping I could get some more insight into this.
You're finding different answers to this question because there really isn't a definitive answer to it.
Adcomms are looking to hear about your experience-- at work, school, or in life-- and how this has matured you and brought you to this point. You don't have to talk particularly about what you want to do in law or why you want to go into law, unless this is something that you have gotten specifically from the experience(s) you've decided to write about in your statement.

There is an argument about whether you should write about an anecdote, or a litany of things you were involved in, but even that doesn't even matter. The main goal is to showcase your own personality, who you are, and that you have the qualities and maturity to succeed law school. So, whatever proves that is fine, and it certainly doesn't have to be "why law school".

To answer your later question, if you feel more comfortable talking about your cultural experience in two pages rather than one, then go for it. Just write about whatever you can showcase yourself with-- and write about it well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”