Do I write a DS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jpal13

Bronze

Do I write a DS?

Post by jpal13 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:58 pm

I am Jewish, which is not unique, but I grew up where there was only one other Jew in my high school. Do I write a DS? At first I thought no because being jewish does not really make a urm but then a lot of people seem to be writing a DS and if it helps my app why not? Whatever I do I don't want to hurt my app.

NiccoloA

Bronze

Re: Do I write a DS?

Post by NiccoloA » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:24 pm

jpal13 wrote:I am Jewish, which is not unique, but I grew up where there was only one other Jew in my high school. Do I write a DS? At first I thought no because being jewish does not really make a urm but then a lot of people seem to be writing a DS and if it helps my app why not? Whatever I do I don't want to hurt my app.
A DS can be anything that adds diversity to the law school or is diverse about yourself.

Being the only Jew person of Jewish heritage in a high school could make a DS. Go for it. :)

EDITED for political correctness and to not seem insensitive.
Last edited by NiccoloA on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lulzalicious

New

Post by lulzalicious » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:25 pm

I think it really depends on how you present/were affected by your being a Jew there. It can be a significant, diverse experience..but wouldnt really know until you wrote it :)

Show how itd make you unique in a LS class. You'll probably get better advice once you've taken a shot at writing it.

Bump, for ppl that have actual knowledge about this.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:40 pm

I would only write about it if you got something out of being one of the only Jewish people at your school. Was it a challenge? Did you grow from this experience? If not I think it might be difficult to find something to write about.

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:47 pm

I felt odd about it at the time, it was actually only really uncomfortable in elementary school. I think I will not write a DS about it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”