. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
whattodo1

New

Post by whattodo1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:00 pm

-Thanks!
Last edited by whattodo1 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Joad

Gold

Re: Another Substance Abuse PS...

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:04 pm

I would write your PS about it. I am glad your life has turned around so well and I wish you luck. If you get a mid to high 170 score I am sure your GPA will not haunt you. Good luck!

Seneca

Bronze

Post by Seneca » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:14 pm

Your story is very compelling, and I think it would make an equally compelling PS. The difference between your story and many of the other substance abuse situations posed on TLS is that (and correct me if I misunderstand) have been clean for about seven years, you have clearly changed your trajectory and established a healthy, substance-free, productive lifestyle and demonstrated significant achievement (good GPA - the 3.8 semesters - despite treatment, employment, a strong LSAT score) since you started recovery. You seem like you are not only very self-aware, but also very aware of the potential pitfalls and know how to handle the delicate subject matter. Post any drafts here, and I'm sure people will be more than happy to help.

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:20 pm

I would really caution against doing this.

I think your turnaround is impressive, so much so that I wouldn't even mention it. Your GPA fluctuated because you were sick. I would mention that but I wouldn't mention how you got sick. The school cannot ask you that, nor are they entitled to any information about it.

As much as I would like to see a school go out on a limb for someone and admit them based on a story like this, the far more likely scenario is that, given this profession's penchant for risk-aversion, they are far more likely to admit someone else with similar/better stats. I just don't think it gets you any advantage.

whattodo1

New

Post by whattodo1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:07 pm

-

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”