Why X; reason being family connection Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
NiccoloA

Bronze

Why X; reason being family connection

Post by NiccoloA » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:10 am

I have one strong reason to attend a specific college, my grandfather attended the same school and he advised me to do so as well. I do like the program and all, but the greatest reason that I have for wanting to go is that with his death, I feel a strong pull to follow, at least nominally, in his footsteps to pay tribute to his memory.

My grandfather was very important to me, I'm trying to convey this in my "Why X," but am wondering if it is wise to use family ties as the primary reason for attendance.

Any suggestions?

NiccoloA

Bronze

Re: Why X; reason being family connection

Post by NiccoloA » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:59 am

No worries of nepotism? Worries that this might not be a good enough reason?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:09 am

I don't think that a "legacy" argument makes for a complete "Why X" statement. And most apps already ask if you have a direct relative that attended.

NiccoloA

Bronze

Post by NiccoloA » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:11 am

kaiser wrote:I don't think that a "legacy" argument makes for a complete "Why X" statement. And most apps already ask if you have a direct relative that attended.
Thanks. Should I drop that aspect completely or add to it? I have a part about wanting to stay in the area and the reputation of the school in the city that I want to work in.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:15 pm

NiccoloA wrote: Should I drop that aspect completely or add to it? I have a part about wanting to stay in the area and the reputation of the school in the city that I want to work in.
You will have to add significantly to this argument or drop it entirely. If you talk about the school's location and reputation as well as your grandfather, it'll seem too much like you're name-dropping legacy rather than genuinely wanting to follow your grandfather's footsteps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 am

IMO, this would be a huge mistake. I also doubt its veracity. Whether or not it the real reason for your choice is irrelevant if adcoms, likewise, find it to be a stretch.

If you are stuck on the idea, it needs to be a soul searching experience where you did you due diligence to validate your grandfather's advice.

NiccoloA

Bronze

Post by NiccoloA » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:08 am

kublaikahn wrote:IMO, this would be a huge mistake. I also doubt its veracity. Whether or not it the real reason for your choice is irrelevant if adcoms, likewise, find it to be a stretch.

If you are stuck on the idea, it needs to be a soul searching experience where you did you due diligence to validate your grandfather's advice.
Well. It is the reason. It's Illinois, given the scandal I wouldn't want to bother if it hadn't been for him - and specifically the fact that he died this Spring and a lot of the emotions I had were welling at the time I decided to start this whole thing.

Regardless, I'll delete it as my topic. I thought the way I had written it might have an endearing effect, but that's probably just an interference of my emotions. Thanks.

This was what I had written,
The University of Illinois has a special place in my heart, my grandfather and uncle both received their graduate degrees from the University of Illinois system and Urbana-Champaign is a place of the highest regards in my house. With my grandfather’s death this March, the pain of losing my hero, the great motivator and champion of my childhood, pushed me harder to receive an Illinois law degree. Like my grandfather I was born and raised in Illinois, I love this state, and I know the connections a degree from the University of Illinois College of Law provides. This school is in my blood, and continuing the tradition of Illinois professionals in my family would be my highest honor.
Aside from paying tribute to my grandfather’s great memory and being the flagship school of my home-state, however, I also want to attend Illinois for its reputation in teaching students in a way that sets them up to hit the ground running out of law school and into a career. Specifically, I believe that the Comparative Labor and Employment Law Policy program will allow me to immediately practice labor and employment law with workers and unions near my home and around Chicago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”