should you have a title for your PS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
sangr

Bronze

should you have a title for your PS?

Post by sangr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:15 am

hey guys,

just wondering should we put elaborate titles for our PS and Why essays?

so what i mean is not just a general title - "Personal Statement for XXX Law School"

but some creative one thats centered ( and not just in the header) and says like "the way mother nature has nurtured me into my present being", etc. :P

any input would be great thanks

billyez

Silver

Re: should you have a title for your PS?

Post by billyez » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:16 am

No. You want to have space for your writing. I didn't even have a title. Just a header that said "Personal Statement". That's all you need.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:25 am

billyez wrote:No. You want to have space for your writing. I didn't even have a title. Just a header that said "Personal Statement". That's all you need.
This.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:39 am

No title. There's nothing you could call it that won't sound ridiculous. Just 'Personal Statement for XX Law School' in the header with your name and LSAC number.

yoiav

Bronze

Post by yoiav » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:15 am

do i need to put in my social?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 am

yoiav wrote:do i need to put in my social?
no, just your name, lsac number and 'personal statement' or something in the header.

Rudolph

New

Post by Rudolph » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:42 am

ilovesf wrote:
no, just your name, lsac number and 'personal statement' or something in the header.
This is kind of a nitpicky formatting question, but do you just put all 3 of these items on one line in your header? If I list them all on separate lines it looks really cluttered.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:49 am

Rudolph wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
This is kind of a nitpicky formatting question, but do you just put all 3 of these items on one line in your header? If I list them all on separate lines it looks really cluttered.
I put one top left, one top center, and one top right

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:12 am

Rudolph wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
I put them on separate lines.. It's easy to stress out about these things for DAYS when you're applying and going over every little part of your application. I don't think this is a huge deaI though.. in one essay for a school I forgot to write that it was my personal statement. I still got in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:21 am

anna ivey suggested name, lsac num, and ssn for the header..and that is what i am doing...however, im sure leaving out the ssn is no big deal.

but to address the original question, no title is needed and it is best to avoid one entirely

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:27 am

thederangedwang wrote:anna ivey suggested name, lsac num, and ssn for the header..and that is what i am doing...however, im sure leaving out the ssn is no big deal.
Yeah, you should minimize the number of documents in your life that contain your social security numbers. As a law school applicant you're not identified by schools using your SSN, so I have absolutely no idea why someone would include it on their PS. If schools need your SSN they'll already get it from the application, so it just seems to be all risk and no reward to attach it to more documents.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:30 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:anna ivey suggested name, lsac num, and ssn for the header..and that is what i am doing...however, im sure leaving out the ssn is no big deal.
Yeah, you should minimize the number of documents in your life that contain your social security numbers. As a law school applicant you're not identified by schools using your SSN, so I have absolutely no idea why someone would include it on their PS. If schools need your SSN they'll already get it from the application, so it just seems to be all risk and no reward to attach it to more documents.
seems pointless to not put ur ssn on the personal statement when every other single document on ur application has the ssn..meaning, if ur worried about personal identity, keeping ur ssn off ur ps is not gonna help at all..but i agree, the ssn is prob not neccessary but likewise, keeping it there wont hurt either

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:28 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
seems pointless to not put ur ssn on the personal statement when every other single document on ur application has the ssn..meaning, if ur worried about personal identity, keeping ur ssn off ur ps is not gonna help at all..but i agree, the ssn is prob not neccessary but likewise, keeping it there wont hurt either
How does every other document have your SSN? I didn't include it on my resume and I'm pretty sure it wasn't on my LORs either. But by all means, feel free to unnecessarily include your SSN on a multitude of documents.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:28 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
I don't know about you, but I printed off and edited my PS quite a bit. There is absolutely zero gain, and some potential risk. But whatever, do it if you want.

Also, if you do choose to do it, I will gladly review it for you. :wink:

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:58 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
I don't know about you, but I printed off and edited my PS quite a bit. There is absolutely zero gain, and some potential risk. But whatever, do it if you want.

Also, if you do choose to do it, I will gladly review it for you. :wink:
hey, im just stating what the former dean of admin for chicago said.....no need to get fiesty with me :)

Rudolph

New

Post by Rudolph » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:48 pm

One last nitpicky formatting question: Should I put page numbers in my two-page PS?

I'm sure this doesn't really matter at all, but these are the kinds of things I'm stressing about before I submit.

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:18 am

yes, on all documents IMO. They should all have the same formatting. I put my page #'s on the bottom in the middle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”