Ivy Essays? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Opie

Silver

Ivy Essays?

Post by Opie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:18 pm

I have a book I got from a book store called Essays That Will Get You Into Law School. It's written by people from IvyEssays. Has anyone used IvyEssays or this book? Is it worth reading?

I know that the PS is certainly not a huge part of admissions, but I don't want to blow it off without a thought.

MumofCad

Silver

Re: Ivy Essays?

Post by MumofCad » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:57 am

I would be wary of relying on it too much. Before you read it, draw something up about yourself and get an idea of how you would like to write YOUR statement. You can get some ideas from those books, but everyone is different and your personal statement should be just that - your personal interpretation of the mission, your personal choice of what to include, etc. Don't try to force your life into the cookie cutter mold of another person's life and experiences that successfully got them into a top law school.

You also never know with those books how the PS was actually received by the adcoms. They may have gotten into Yale, with the adcom thinking "eh, this will do," but amazing numbers, LORs, and a great, interesting resume.

Opie

Silver

Re: Ivy Essays?

Post by Opie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:16 pm

True. My numbers are good enough to get into the school I want to get into, I just need a PS that doesn't suck. I mostly bought it because I couldn't find ANY instruction on how to write a PS or what was supposed to be in it. That was obviously before I started coming here.

I've read a little of it and it seems worthwhile. It explains a lot of the things adcoms hate and some of the things that they like. It gives a lot of good techniques for brainstorming what to write, and has some good examples.

I'm not sure if it's worth the opportunity cost of studying the games less.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”