PS Idea: Potentially controversial/offensive? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gentlemanandascholar

New

PS Idea: Potentially controversial/offensive?

Post by gentlemanandascholar » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:17 pm

So based off of my UG experience, I believe that the most unique/interesting experience I could discuss (as well as one thing I was truly passionate about) was dance. During college, I learned to bboy/breakdance (unique for 6'5" Indian Americans), and became interested in Bollywood-style dance which led to me being the choreographer/lead dancer on our nationally competitive Bollywood dance team, which was accepted into better competitions than ever before this past year. I was hoping to tie this in to how I increased my understanding/appreciation for my South Asian culture as well as my parents experiences dating/getting married even though their families came from different religious backgrounds (think an Indian Romeo and Juliet story) and how this informed my sense of justice/equality/freedom. I believe that through the analogy of watching/learning about Bollywood love stories, I was able to appreciate the reality of my parents' situations and the power of following your passions regardless of the opposition.

Hoping that it will have a good mix of showing leadership/interesting personal qualities through the growth of skills acquired as a dancer/choreographer/team leader/member of my city's hip hop community in addition to showcasing moral and emotional growth through the understanding of my South Asian culture/parental situation.

Do you think that the segment about my parents (who overtly disobeyed their parents and avoided marrying within their caste/religion) may be offensive to some adcomm readers who may have strong beliefs regarding religion and marriage? Part of me feels like this is a needless worry, but I also don't want to seem like someone who, by virtue of being young, seems condescending/judgmental of mindsets that were common in previous generations, and are still quite often present today. It would kind of contradict the open-mindedness and tolerance that I learned from my parents. My alternative would be to scrap the part about my parents and focus on the other issues.

TL;DR: is talking about how my parents defied their parents to marry between religions too controversial?

JordynAsh

Bronze

Re: PS Idea: Potentially controversial/offensive?

Post by JordynAsh » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:26 pm

I wouldn't worry about it being controversial, but I would worry about it not clearly showing how your parents' story translates to why law school/a legal career is right for you.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:28 pm

I don't think talking about your parents would be controversial. Don't most Americans see the caste system as "outdated" anyway? I mean, American culture is so chock full of Romeo & Juliet-derived storylines that it's an overused cliche.

I would, however, be concerned about it possibly taking too much focus away from you. The only way to really judge it though is to read it, so either post it here or PM people. I'd be happy to take a look. It sounds fascinating!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:29 pm

JordynAsh wrote:I wouldn't worry about it being controversial, but I would worry about it not clearly showing how your parents' story translates to why law school/a legal career is right for you.
This.

Also, marrying out of caste is not as rare as you make it seem. I can think of 2 Indian friends of mine whose parents did just that (highest cast, too).

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:34 pm

gentlemanandascholar wrote: TL;DR: is talking about how my parents defied their parents to marry between religions too controversial?
Whatever you write, make sure your parents don't end up being the most memorable part or the focus of your statement. Adcoms want to learn about you, not your parents.

I don't think people should necessarily avoid controversy in their PS as long as the tone is positive and not angry/preachy.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:40 pm

gentlemanandascholar wrote:TL;DR: is talking about how my parents defied their parents to marry between religions too controversial?
TL;DR: Don't alt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”