"Why X" statements - which schools? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
freestallion

Silver

"Why X" statements - which schools?

Post by freestallion » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:23 pm

I know we should write "Why X" to the following:

- Michigan
- Penn
- UVA?

But, would you recommend writing them to any of the following schools?

- Duke
- Georgetown
- Northwestern
- Berkeley (I really want to get in here)
- NYU/Columbia (really want to get into these as well)

Thoughts? I know people say not to write Why X for HYS but wondering if NYU and Columbia would like them, at all.

Dany

Diamond

Re: "Why X" statements - which schools?

Post by Dany » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:34 pm

-Write one for Duke
-Do Optional Essay 2 ("Briefly discuss your specific interest in Northwestern Law") for NU
-Incorporate it into your PS for Berkeley (four page limit)
-Do not write one for Georgetown (numbers game) or NYU/Columbia (they already know)
-Also definitely write one for UVA (assuming the question mark meant you're unsure)

sold123

New

Post by sold123 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm writing a general/broad response here because I only applied to Northwestern out of the schools on your list.

My advice is to be careful about writing too many "Why" statements, because the quality tends to decrease as the number increases. Write the "Why" statements for the schools that you really want to attend first, and make sure that they are A.) distinct and B.) as good as, or better than your personal statement. A really bad "why" statement can hurt you, in my limited but honest opinion.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:00 pm

sold123 wrote:IA really bad "why" statement can hurt you, in my limited but honest opinion.
Agreed, but it isn't that hard to write a convincing page about why OP wants to attend one of the best schools in the country (which all of the above are) and with TLS to help/edit, sending in a bad one shouldn't be an option.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:02 pm

I agree with Dany. I would also suggest writing two of Penn's optional statements because that way you show even more love for them. Just get someone from TLS to read over them and make sure they don't suck and you should be fine. I wrote one for Duke, UVA, Penn (wrote a why Penn and one extra essay), and Michigan and I got into all of those.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sold123

New

Post by sold123 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Dany wrote:
sold123 wrote:IA really bad "why" statement can hurt you, in my limited but honest opinion.
Agreed, but it isn't that hard to write a convincing page about why OP wants to attend one of the best schools in the country (which all of the above are) and with TLS to help/edit, sending in a bad one shouldn't be an option.
Yup. But I was also trying to point out that there shouldn't be a gap between the "Why" and PS, so perhaps he should have an editor evaluating both in order to achieve a proper context in judging the quality of the "Why".

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:25 pm

sold123 wrote:
Dany wrote:
Yup. But I was also trying to point out that there shouldn't be a gap between the "Why" and PS, so perhaps he should have an editor evaluating both in order to achieve a proper context in judging the quality of the "Why".
Well I mean, if you talk about being passionate about X type of law in your PS and don't mention it at all in your Why X, that might be a problem. But if your PS is about something non-law-related, it's probably not a huge deal if they don't exactly coordinate perfectly.

sold123

New

Post by sold123 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Xifeng wrote:
sold123 wrote:
Dany wrote:
Well I mean, if you talk about being passionate about X type of law in your PS and don't mention it at all in your Why X, that might be a problem. But if your PS is about something non-law-related, it's probably not a huge deal if they don't exactly coordinate perfectly.
Sorry, didn't mean coordinate, I was just talking quality overall: quality of thought, quality of writing, etc. The writer should strive for the overall quality of the "Why" to be equivalent to the overall quality of the PS.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks everyone! I ask because I really wanted to maximize my chances at NYU and Columbia, as they are definitely my top choices.

If I don't write Why X statements to NYU/Columbia, what else could I do to increase my chances there? I was thinking of adding just a few lines at the end of my personal statement detailing why I want to go to that school. Maybe this would help a bit?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:12 am

Just saw your profile - we're numbers twins. I got into NYU but not Columbia (held then I withdrew), but I think your better UG might tip you into the admit pile at CLS. I did the personalized PS for each school as well, and I think my cycle went as expected.

I think CLS looks pretty good for your numbers. They pulled some weird stuff this year (holding people here and there who should've been accepted by the numbers) and I don't think there's much you can do to prevent that, but I'd say a personalized PS (as long as it fits well with the rest of the essay) can't hurt.

NYU is a lock.

Best of luck with your cycle. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”