Focusing on one topic Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
iphone7

Bronze

Focusing on one topic

Post by iphone7 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:31 pm

I have a question about the seeming common wisdom that we should focus on one even of moment during our personal statements. I don't think that I can give a good explanation of myself during one topic. In my attempts I've tried to take a theme that has motivated me during my life and then show myself using that theme in relation to various events in my life. Can anyone give me a good explanation of why it's nearly required (based on what people on this board say) to only focus on one snapshot in my life to try to describe who I am?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Focusing on one topic

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Because you only have two or three pages, and if you're listing out events that occurred over an entire lifetime, it'll turn out to be just that: a list. Detail is important, and there isn't enough room to do more than one or two events justice.

sold123

New

Re: Focusing on one topic

Post by sold123 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:34 pm

"In my attempts I've tried to take a theme that has motivated me during my life and then show myself using that theme in relation to various events in my life."

What you want to do, is kind of reverse that sentiment. Shift the focus to the event, so that the event displays all the themes you want to discuss, rather than extrapolating that event into themes in your life.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”