x Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
admisionquestion

Bronze

x

Post by admisionquestion » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:09 am

x
Last edited by admisionquestion on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

NZA

Silver

Re: Atheism DS

Post by NZA » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:13 am

Nope.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:17 am

NZA wrote:Nope.
NZA wrote:Nope.
+1

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:23 am

I think if your beliefs have somehow put you in a position of being marginalized at some point (such as if you grew up in a family that took a very strong position of atheism and were harassed by religious folks) then MAAAYBEE this could be appropriate. But I think that usually 'diversity' characteristics are facts about you (or perhaps your family) that (1) generally you don't have control over (such as race) AND (2) which have potentially or actually marginalized or disadvantaged you in some way.

Just my opinion.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:27 am

I'd bet atheism is pretty common in law schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:34 am

Lawquacious wrote:I think if your beliefs have somehow put you in a position of being marginalized at some point (such as if you grew up in a family that took a very strong position of atheism and were harassed by religious folks) then MAAAYBEE this could be appropriate. But I think that usually 'diversity' characteristics are facts about you (or perhaps your family) that (1) generally you don't have control over (such as race) AND (2) which have potentially or actually marginalized or disadvantaged you in some way.

Just my opinion.
Nope.

Sorry man. The only CR is "no."

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:35 am

You're not a Zoroastrian. You're an Atheist. It's not that diverse and I would imagine any DS you would write on that would come off pretentious as shit.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:36 am

NZA wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:I think if your beliefs have somehow put you in a position of being marginalized at some point (such as if you grew up in a family that took a very strong position of atheism and were harassed by religious folks) then MAAAYBEE this could be appropriate. But I think that usually 'diversity' characteristics are facts about you (or perhaps your family) that (1) generally you don't have control over (such as race) AND (2) which have potentially or actually marginalized or disadvantaged you in some way.

Just my opinion.
Nope.

I respectfully disagree; I think if someone had the experience of being marginalized for religious beliefs (or lack thereof) while growing up that it could reasonably be considered an element of 'diversity.'

But I am definitely not saying that this likely applies to OP's situation, nor recommending that OP write a DS on this topic.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:42 am

Lawquacious wrote:
NZA wrote:

Just my opinion.
Nope.

Meh.. that's your opinion. I respectfully disagree; if the narrow set of conditions I mentioned above were met, I think the experience of being marginalized for religious beliefs while growing up (or lack thereof) could reasonably be considered an element of 'diversity.'

But I am definitely not saying that this likely applies to OP's situation.
I like you as a TLSer, but, I'm sorry, no. :?

Any sort of ideological DS is absolutely not going to help your chances at admission.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:46 am

NZA wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
NZA wrote:

Just my opinion.
Nope.

Meh.. that's your opinion. I respectfully disagree; if the narrow set of conditions I mentioned above were met, I think the experience of being marginalized for religious beliefs while growing up (or lack thereof) could reasonably be considered an element of 'diversity.'

But I am definitely not saying that this likely applies to OP's situation.
I like you as a TLSer, but, I'm sorry, no. :?

Any sort of ideological DS is absolutely not going to help your chances at admission.

I think that saying there is never a case where religiously-related beliefs that have had a strong marginalization effect in someone's life can be considered a diversity factor is overstated though. Diversity is by its nature a fluid and largely contextual issue (e.g. what groups comprise minorities and what draws discrimination can differ in different cultures), although obviously people have come to accept that there are certain categories that are 'diverse' based on cultural realities--I think these diversity norms probably should generally be what is focused on in any DS, but also think that the categorical assertion that it could never be appropriate to do a DS on atheism is short-sighted. Is it a good idea though for OP to do it though? I think almost definitely not.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:05 am

I didn't initially realize that this was the URM forum; I apologize if I offended anyone here. I think that my arguments would have been less hypothetical if I had realized that.

OP I hope you are not a troll.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:07 am

Lawquacious wrote:I didn't initially realize that this was the URM forum; I apologize if I offended anyone here. I think that my arguments would have been less hypothetical if I had realized that.

Dude, I feel like you're cool, you're offering your opinion, that's what this forum is for.

I just think OP needs to actually go more into detail, I guess, before anyone can really offer him advice. If it's like, "Oh, I read "The God Delusion" and my parents still made me go to church" then that is retarded.

If it's, "I had to flee X country because the Y religious figure demanded I be executed" then that would obviously be different. Though, frankly, I think that would be a true DS in the sense that it is about diversity, not your ideological position.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:10 am

NZA wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:I didn't initially realize that this was the URM forum; I apologize if I offended anyone here. I think that my arguments would have been less hypothetical if I had realized that.

Dude, I feel like you're cool, you're offering your opinion, that's what this forum is for.

I just think OP needs to actually go more into detail, I guess, before anyone can really offer him advice. If it's like, "Oh, I read "The God Delusion" and my parents still made me go to church" then that is retarded.

If it's, "I had to flee X country because the Y religious figure demanded I be executed" then that would obviously be different. Though, frankly, I think that would be a true DS in the sense that it is about diversity, not your ideological position.
Thx for understanding dude-- yeah, I think OP is almost definitely closer to the first variety you mentioned, in which case I think a DS on the topic is in fact entirely inappropriate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:58 am

Lawquacious wrote:
NZA wrote:

Thx for understanding dude-- yeah, I think OP is almost definitely closer to the first variety you mentioned, in which case I think a DS on the topic is in fact entirely inappropriate.
Okay, Im not sure why this is in URM that was silly of me.

After hearing these responses I agree that the answer is no, i just was wondering what peoples thoughts would be (not a flame). To be clear I am not some prick (No I did not read the God Delusion and get all anti-rightous). I grew up in a household with one deeply Muslim and one deeply christian parent, I have basically been an atheist since Day 1 and it connects to my personality and viewpoint in interesting ways. I still agree no PS...

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:38 am

Moved.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:44 am

admisionquestion wrote:Hi,

I know religious beliefs are not something that earns URM boosts.

But if being an atheist has substantially influenced my life is it something worth writing about in a DS?
I would avoid it because you really don't know who will be reading your DS. Being anti-atheists is much more common than being anti-gay or racist. I would not risk that unless you think it would significantly increase your chance of admissions, which I doubt because as others have noted being atheist or agnostic is common in graduate education.

BeaverHunter

New

Post by BeaverHunter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 am

Calling atheism a religious belief is like calling bald a hair color.

/thread

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:05 pm

BeaverHunter wrote:Calling atheism a religious belief is like calling bald a hair color.

/thread
:lol:

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:26 am

BeaverHunter wrote:Calling atheism a religious belief is like calling bald a hair color.

/thread
Definitely not at all bothered by your comment but I am hoping to start a friendly debate.

I have heard this sentiment often and it confuses me. As I understand it:

Atheist = without god
apolitical=without politics

To call someone apolitical is to say that the person does not have beliefs about politics.
To call someone atheist is to say that the person does not believe in the existence of a god.

Do you see how not believing in the existence of a god is not the same thing as not having religious beliefs.

Unless, religious beliefs are only beliefs affirming the existence of religious conjectures... but that is not usually how that grammar would work. Political Beliefs means to have beliefs about politics at all. You would never say an anarchist is apolitical just because they do not support affirmative conjectures about government.

BeaverHunter

New

Post by BeaverHunter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:07 am

admisionquestion wrote:

/thread
Definitely not at all bothered by your comment but I am hoping to start a friendly debate.

Atheist = without god

To call someone apolitical is to say that the person does not have beliefs about politics.
To call someone atheist is to say that the person does not believe in the existence of a god.

Do you see how not believing in the existence of a god is not the same thing as not having religious beliefs.

Unless, religious beliefs are only beliefs affirming the existence of religious conjectures... but that is not usually how that grammar would work. Political Beliefs means to have beliefs about politics at all. You would never say an anarchist is apolitical just because they do not support affirmative conjectures about government.
Since you asked, I'd suggest you get a firmer grasp on your "beliefs" before writing a personal statement about them.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:13 am

BeaverHunter wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:

/thread

Atheist = without god

Since you asked, I'd suggest you get a firmer grasp on your "beliefs" before writing a personal statement about them.
What the heck? I asked to debate a matter of semantics and never claimed to be the least bit confused. I am damn sure I know what I believe in... I am slightly less sure I know if a rejection of a system constitutes beliefs of or in that system. Your response is rude and I am for once actually insulted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:20 am

admisionquestion wrote:

/thread

Atheist = without god

Are you really using English grammar and the fact that they both start with "a" to question whether or not atheism is a religion?

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:22 am

admisionquestion wrote:
BeaverHunter wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:

/thread

Atheist = without god

What the heck? I asked to debate a matter of semantics and never claimed to be the least bit confused. I am damn sure I know what I believe in... I am slightly less sure I know if a rejection of a system constitutes beliefs of or in that system. Your response is rude and I am for once actually insulted.
Flame.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:47 am

There is no need to be rude.

This was never a flame. Yes I am using english grammar to debate something. There is absolutely NOTHING absurd about that.

BeaverHunter

New

Post by BeaverHunter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Look dude, a lack of belief does not constitute beliefs. I'd give you more than one liners if your position was defensible but it is not. Move on, you've lost this one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”