Please help with Transfer App personal statement. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
WashULawyer

New

Please help with Transfer App personal statement.

Post by WashULawyer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Last edited by WashULawyer on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esq

Silver

Re: Please help with Transfer App personal statement.

Post by esq » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:12 pm

My overall impression: :roll:

You display quite a bit of unfounded hubris in this statement. I think that you need to really work on explaining what makes you a 'diamond' among law students by helping the reader to understand that you have actually accomplished something as a 'legal man' that makes you stand out. Because you spend more time trying to qualify yourself as this so called 'legal man' by talking about how you read the Talmud (as most Orthodox Jewish boys did) and how you studied legal concepts in high school (a time when you couldn't possibly understand the law as Stanford intended you to), you lead me to believe that you are actually garbage as a law school student. The only thing that you say about your accomplishments in law school is "My first year in law school has done nothing but reaffirm my love for legal studies. I have excelled in my classes while learning on the fly what type of effort is required to become a truly great legal thinker and practitioner. This is the first time in my life when work and play are one and the same. " WTF?

Needs specifics my friend. And lose the self entitlement.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:27 pm

-You call the majority of applicants opportunists who are in it for money or prestige. Focus on yourself, and don't waste time bringing down other applicants.

-You say that even those with good grades will have unrefined legal thinking and a limited potential. Who are you to make this assessment? And once again, why are you wasting valuable PS space talking poorly of others?

-"This is the way it works"? Once again, what puts your on the pedestal to make such an assessment of how things "work"?

The whole essay gets progressively better as it goes along with regard to tone, attitude, and content. Its the beginning that really turned me off, and once the reader forms a negative opinion, it transposes itself over everything else. So I'd really ditch the tone of the opening.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Start over. Is this a flame?

saladfiend

New

Post by saladfiend » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:36 pm

/
Last edited by saladfiend on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WashULawyer

New

Post by WashULawyer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Last edited by WashULawyer on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:12 pm

WashULawyer wrote:I did not intend to sound pompous and feel that a lot of that might have stemmed from me following the "There Will Be Blood" script. I have revised my PS and would love for everyone to continue ripping into it..

This is not f'real. Nobody does this. Right?

....Right?

(and i mean, really, out of all the movies you could have based your ps on)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”