Personal Statement High School Story Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
envo3

New

Personal Statement High School Story

Post by envo3 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:55 am

Would writing about a high school story negatively effect your personal statement for law school? Does it make it sound that you childish in a way?

Tanicius

Gold

Re: Personal Statement High School Story

Post by Tanicius » Thu May 26, 2011 12:59 am

I could see it as the hook for an intro, or a sentence or two mentioned in passing in the body of the essay, but nothing more.

icecold3000

Bronze

Post by icecold3000 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:04 am

I think it would depend on the story. If you are writing about overcoming an obstacle that has impacted you as a person, I think it might be good. Do you have any details about what you would write about?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:35 pm

It needs to be a very compelling story from your high school years (something that deeply affected you/your life or was truly unusual), and it needs to be tied into more recent life events. Otherwise you risk sounding like you haven't done anything worth writing about since high school.

Bad: I did this in high school. Plz admit me KTHX.

(Potentially) good: This happened in high school. It affected me thusly. It has influenced me since then in these ways. My life since that time is reflective of that influence. Thus, my path to becoming an excellent candidate for law school began with that thing that happened in high school.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu May 26, 2011 2:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:It needs to be a very compelling story from your high school years (something that deeply affected you/your life or was truly unusual), and it needs to be tied into more recent life events. Otherwise you risk sounding like you haven't done anything worth writing about since high school.

(Potentially) good: This happened in high school. It affected me thusly. It has influenced me since then in these ways. My life since that time is reflective of that influence. Thus, my path to becoming an excellent candidate for law school began with that thing that happened in high school.
TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shoop

Bronze

Post by shoop » Thu May 26, 2011 6:04 pm

envo3 wrote:Would writing about a high school story negatively effect your personal statement for law school?
It can't really negatively effect your chances, but it could negatively affect them. Or, it could have a negative effect.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:09 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:It needs to be a very compelling story from your high school years (something that deeply affected you/your life or was truly unusual), and it needs to be tied into more recent life events. Otherwise you risk sounding like you haven't done anything worth writing about since high school.

TITCR
+1

Yeah...about a page of my PS was about my family life during high school, but it was truly an unusual experience and basically shaped who I am today. If it's truly compelling, it can't hurt you.

Good luck :)

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:27 pm

I'd leave it out unless it's a very unique, life changing event.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”