Cheers, mate Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Mad_Twatter

New

Cheers, mate

Post by Mad_Twatter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:48 am

:)
Last edited by Mad_Twatter on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bergg007

Bronze

Re: The only PS about evolution you will ever read...

Post by bergg007 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:55 am

Mad_Twatter wrote:"Evolution is a theory, not a fact" is used by creationist/intelligent design advocates to play on the common usage of theory. When the average person thinks of theory, they think of a hunch or a qualified guess.

But that is not how science uses the term. In many ways a scientific theory is much more impressive than a scientific fact.

For example, the statement that species change over time is a scientific fact. This can be seen in hyper speed in the laboratory with fruit flies. Evolution, which tries to describe all aspects of this change (genetically and physically), is a scientific theory.

If you drop a ball from the Sears tower, in normal conditions, it will fall to the ground. That is a scientific fact. That's gravity. But gravity is still a scientific theory. No one has explained why gravity works the way it does, or why exceptions exist.

The only scientific laws are those that are very specific and often purely mathematical.

To be specific, evolution is a scientific theory, composed of numerous scientific facts.

I fully understand the term "scientific theory" but there is no such thing as "Science facts" What you described are the results of a series of tests. I have no problem with Evolution and I am a christian, but I think you run the risk of pushing people away and or making them dislike you. i ran the same risk with my PS (it outed me as a religious person) I felt it has helped me in some places and hurt me in others.
Just be ready to get dinged some places. Any religious affiliated school could take offense and schools that have a large population of religious people could be turned off by this PS.

Pretty well written though.

Mad_Twatter

New

Post by Mad_Twatter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:01 am

nm wtf

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:07 am

Mad_Twatter wrote:nm wtf

where'd the post go i liked it.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:08 am

i deleted it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:10 am

sparty99 wrote:i deleted it. don't be trying to show me up. EVER AGAIN.

not you, OP.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:11 am

Yes...I have my people that drown the voices against religion. See Jesus.

Mad_Twatter

New

cheers, mate

Post by Mad_Twatter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:16 am

Last edited by Mad_Twatter on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:16 am

sparty99 wrote:Yawwwwn. Maybe you should be a scientist not a lawyer.
Hey sparty- you're a douchebag. I'm sure you were already aware of this, but I thought you might need some advice since you keep posting.

OP, I think it's different- which is exactly what you want.

Here's what you need to consider:

1) Most people applying are douchebags so their PS will be about being treasurer at their frat/sorority.
2) The people who read these actually hate applicants. If you had to read thousands of people expounding on how great they are, you would hate law school applicants as well.
3) Top law schools has some posters who give great advice (see this thread), and jealous douchebags who don't know what the scopes monkey trial was. (most of us learned about this in high school)

Anyway, good job, I liked what I read, and don't worry about criticisms from ignorant fools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mad_Twatter

New

cheers, mate

Post by Mad_Twatter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 am

Last edited by Mad_Twatter on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 am

Mad_Twatter wrote:
sparty99 wrote:i deleted it. don't be trying to show me up. EVER AGAIN.
I think you were right. I can't read.

Cliffs: Scopes Trial was a shammockery, in which Darrow did not win. Bryan didn't either. The anti-evolutionists won because they basically eliminated evolution from biology textbooks until the 1950s. Dayton lost...badly. We still haven't recovered. We are also the town that a few years ago tried to vote out gays from the county, no lie. Swell place to live.
where r u applying to

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:22 am

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:24 am

Mad_Twatter wrote:"Evolution is a theory, not a fact" is used by creationist/intelligent design advocates to play on the common usage of theory. When the average person thinks of theory, they think of a hunch or a qualified guess.

But that is not how science uses the term. In many ways a scientific theory is much more impressive than a scientific fact.

For example, the statement that species change over time is a scientific fact. This can be seen in hyper speed in the laboratory with fruit flies. Evolution, which tries to describe all aspects of this change (genetically and physically), is a scientific theory.

If you drop a ball from the Sears tower, in normal conditions, it will fall to the ground. That is a scientific fact. That's gravity. But gravity is still a scientific theory. No one has explained why gravity works the way it does, or why exceptions exist.

The only scientific laws are those that are very specific and often purely mathematical.

To be specific, evolution is a scientific theory, composed of numerous scientific facts.
My yawn was in regard to the above statement, not the essay. I hate science.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mad_Twatter

New

cheers, mate

Post by Mad_Twatter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:24 am

Last edited by Mad_Twatter on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mad_Twatter

New

cheers, mate

Post by Mad_Twatter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:26 am

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:28 am

so 2012 Fall....cause i think u missed the deadlines. Will this be your diversity statement? Or PS.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:30 am

Mad_Twatter wrote:
Sparty is somewhat right, you have to admit it. The best troll posts have the stank of truth. I am not a good writer. I just never knew how steaming craptastic by writing truely was. Truth hurts, but it's the truth.
Your writing isn't that bad. People on this site have a tendency to over-exaggerate the mistakes of others in order to make themselves look better (I won't make that claim outright.). Sure it could be better. But that is no different from the personal statements of 75% of posters on TLS. You've received positive feedback from posters who have given other personal statements a thorough thrashing. Be more confident in your work. It's good stuff, just needs tweaking.
Last edited by cartercl on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mad_Twatter

New

cheers mate

Post by Mad_Twatter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:31 am

Last edited by Mad_Twatter on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:33 am

Mad_Twatter wrote:
sparty99 wrote:so 2012 Fall....cause i think u missed the deadlines. Will this be your diversity statement? Or PS.
Yeah.

Is was going to be my PS. Now I'm not so sure LS is for me. How am I going to write a coherent essay exam if I can't write a literate essay about myself?
I liked the PS, and I'm doing pretty well in LS. It needs to be edited, but I don't know anyone who cranks out a perfect document without revision.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:33 am

Mad_Twatter wrote:
sparty99 wrote:so 2012 Fall....cause i think u missed the deadlines. Will this be your diversity statement? Or PS.
Yeah.

Is was going to be my PS. Now I'm not so sure LS is for me. How am I going to write a coherent essay exam if I can't write a literate essay about myself?

Wow, you're either being a giant pussy or you're a sparty alt.

Why would an alt go through such pains as to write an entire PS?

Mad_Twatter

New

cheers, mate

Post by Mad_Twatter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:36 am

Last edited by Mad_Twatter on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:37 am

Mad_Twatter wrote:
Yeah.

This was one of the better PSs I've seen on here. I'm not sure where this self-loathing is coming from.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:38 am

I didn't say your writing was horrible. I said the essay was good, however there's parts that need improvement.

In business and law, you write fact based statements. Not this fictional, essay stuff.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:38 am

fatduck wrote:Image

Still makes me laugh really hard. Oh man I love the look on that dog's face.

Freaking awesome.

Mad_Twatter

New

Cheers, mate

Post by Mad_Twatter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:39 am

Last edited by Mad_Twatter on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”