Appropriate PS theme? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dh22

New

Appropriate PS theme?

Post by dh22 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Basically, my story or theme that i have planned out for my PS outlines is as follows:

-did poorly my first years in college, didn't know what i wanted to do
-academically dismissed from my undergrad
-enrolled in a business law course at a community college, found passion in the subject
-quit my full-time job, and with my new found purpose was motivated to return to school
-maintained a 3.8 GPA for the next three years until graduation

basically the theme would be how i found an aim, a goal to motivate to take control of my life and steer it into another direction and how i hope to continue on that path through law school.

However, i hear that this sort of theme is not only cliche, but the negatives of being dropped from an undergrad shouldn't be addressed in a personal statement. Is this true even if it truly did lead to a turnaround in my life? (true story, and my transcripts do reflect a significant turnaround after that blaw course and i did subsequently quit my job of 3 years to pursue law school)

any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

BriaTharen

Silver

Re: Appropriate PS theme?

Post by BriaTharen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:45 pm

The entirety of this "PS" sounds exactly like what should be put in an addendum. Not a PS. Find a new topic/theme and write what you have proposed in an addendum.

kitmitzi

New

Post by kitmitzi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:36 pm

I would say it depends on when this all happened. If it's been 10+ years since you initially dropped out of undergrad then you very obviously are a different person and the adcomm know that. But if it's been less than five years than using that story so in depth may hurt you.

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:02 pm

I have a similar story. I mentioned it subtly in my PS, but I could not write the entire statement about it. Honestly, writing a "personal" statement about your academic career, which is clearly documented in your transcript and resume seems a bit weak.

Now if in that year when you got dismissed, you remained out of school, and picked up a dead end job working as a janitor, which reaffirmed your passion for education, now you have something...

I'd say to make sure you mention stuff that your other papers cannot tell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”